Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dragline

Testing tank question

9 posts in this topic

I'm interested in making a testing tank to test musky style baits. Any ideas are much appreciated, pump size, tank construction etc.

Thanks - Mark

Saw a TV program where they were testing scale models of a pickup truck in water to see if tailgate up or down gave less drag and better gas mileage. (tailgate UP is best). They used a jet pump in a circular tank - sort of a race track design. When I saw it, I thought of crank testing. However, if you want something that takes up minimal floor space, it needs to be a test chamber on top with the pump, return plumbing and other hardware underneath. As much of a pain in the neck as it is, I just save my cranks until I can tune them on the lake. The optimum scenario is a swimming pool where the lanes make it easy to see if they run straight and the depth markers make it easy to evaluate their dive characteristics. Hey, maybe the local YMCA needs a night watchman!

How about a fish tank? Depending on what you want for depth, a 20 gallon would be big. Maybe go to BPS, or another sporting store, and usually they have displays set up, with Mr. Twisters, or something, swimming. Might get an idea there. Good Luck Doug

The guys on myth busters made one that was a oval dough nut shape with a trolling motor as a current generator pretty cool but not cheap to make it looked like 1/4" lexan 3-4' long and 2' wide and 1.5' deep roughly

if you have the room go to your local farm co-op they have cattle watering tanks. some are 8 feet long and 3 feet deep

That there is big enough to even add fish, and that way you can see what colors are hot! :D

There should be a small room in your house that has a device with an upper tank that contains clean water at all times. Just lift the lid and do a float/sink test. If you swim them in the lower unit, they'll swim in a circle for a while, then disappear. 8O

You know - I think I have one of those little rooms in my house with one of those devices that your referring to... and the last time I used it I think saw your refection in it.