chiefdano

Melting plastic in a microwave questions

Glass is a must. As long as you don't over-heat you'll have very little smoke and it doesn't hurt the microwave.

A couple of suggestions; heat in a Pyrex measuring cup. Put plastic on 1 minute then stir. Heat another minute then stir. You may need to adjust the time based on your microwave. After your plastic is ready to pour, I highly recommend transferring it to the pouring pans. Keep it heated on your hot plate. It cuts your heating time by two thirds.

There's a lot posted on this subject at

http://www.del-mart.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Just to add on to what Basskat stated make sure you do this in a well ventilated area. Most guys pouring use some type of respirator as well. If you can it is best to purchase a cheap/used microwave and keep it out of the house. Your plastic should have a msds sheet with it listing all hazards associated with the product. There are a ton of discussions in previous posts that you can reference as well.

Scott

thanks for the info. the reason i am asking is because i am going to korea in may and living in a dorm and leaving my house in tucson where i do all my melting. i was going to buy a cheap microwave to put in my dorm to spend the year making tons of plastics so i will have them when i return home. might as well, wont have much else to do ;)

but i was also hoping i could use the microwave to reheat food or make popcorn in etc. if it is too nasty after making plastic, then aww well i'm not going to worry about it. only problem i see me having is ventilation.

any input?