Lurehead03

accidental discovery

OK guys while working on the last batch of baits i stumbled upon what i think will the best sealer for balsa simply apply two coats of Elmer's wood glue letting dry and sanding between coats it really stiffens up the balsa and give you a great surface to apply base coat as long as you use a flat white from a spray can as i do (flat white Krylon fast dry enamel)

However water gets in a balsa bait, it's toast. But I also wear rubber socks with my galoshes and use epoxy undercoating and clearcoating on balsa baits. I figure the little devils are hard enough to make, you might as well make them last.

In just the last couple weeks I tried some sanding sealer and couldn't be happier. WoodieB8 has been telling me for some time to use it and I wish I had listened sooner. Get yourself some sanding sealer, it dries in like 10 minutes, no kidding! I have been using two coats and then going to primer, great stuff.

jed v.

In just the last couple weeks I tried some sanding sealer and couldn't be happier. WoodieB8 has been telling me for some time to use it and I wish I had listened sooner. Get yourself some sanding sealer' date=' it dries in like 10 minutes, no kidding! I have been using two coats and then going to primer, great stuff.

jed v.[/quote']

Jed and woodieb8,

I am wondering what name brand of sanding sealer you use, i can get Taylor DIY brand for $19.00 a gallon. Also what about miniwax polyuerathane coatings would that work for base coatings? I'm new at this and don't want to do things wrong, i have already made too many "noob" mistakes and my first 3 baits are hanging by my work bench as reminders. I have 2 baits i "think" are ready for base coats and testing but i don't have a drying wheel so devcon 2 is out for now.

hi tenka, i will explain our process. i use a sanding sealer lacquer based, dry time 10 minutes. i use white lacquer primer. and lacquer paints. rember one major thing. you can put enamel and water base paints over lacquer base but NOT lacquer base over enamels. we strive to have the hardest finish as we build for muskys with major teeth. the final step in clear coatings is up to the persons as you will see many opinions and variations that will work. our clear is made by swing paints in canad called new lustre 55. hang in there i have created many failures as any other bait maker maybe more. the guys on this site are very talented and unbelievably creative.

So a lacquer based sanding sealer and lacquer based paints, Got it! Thanks. i have some left over RC car paint that is lacquer based. That will save me a few bucks on this.

I am looking for a used Rotissory I don't have the tools to make my own wheel but i do have to means to convert a rotisory to a drying wheel for my smaller baits. I hope to get one thru ebay, pawn shop, or garage sell soon.

Thanks again for the help

Elmers just came out with a weatherproof wood glue, says it is ans20 waterproof ( believe this was the correct waterproof rating), I have used it for about 6 months now on bare balsa prior to priming, it really does stiffen up the wood and makes a hard shell to paint on, haven't had any problems with water getting into my baits dipped 3-4 coats with clear lacquer as a top coat. I just apply with a brush to the bare wood, let dry, light sand (doesn't raise the grain too much) prime and paint as normal.