TTDuckman

Remelting Plastic

I poured my first baits tonight and several revelations occured. First off, I tip my hat to guys that have been doing this for a while, because it isn't easy. I used a pyrek measuring cup and am extremely happy with my first color (light watermelon with black and green flakes). I only poured about 15 baits before I decided to shut it down for the evening and reevaluate my technique. I got about 4 baits that are usable and have about 8oz of left over plastic. I really like the color and want to use it again. I used more glitter and more salt than I probably should have (1 tsp of each black and green glitter and 2 tbsp of salt).

How do I remelt this plastic without burning it and without changing the color (adding more plastic).

I have been lurking for about 3 weeks and am very pleased with the level of expertise on this board.

Thank you,

Tim

Welcome to TU.

You can easily remelt your plastic by melting in short intervals in the microwave. The key is to mix it A LOT and heat with short bursts. Once it begins to melt, you probably only want to heat in 15-20 second intervals. It will heat from the inside out in the microwave so make sure you mix it to help even it out.

Your glitter will bleed if you overheat it. Proper mixing should prevent this.

If you get some clumps when you pour, stop and reheat for another 15-20 seconds. Stir it good.