northrivergeek

The Big 9 Inch, er bandsaw that is .. help

Hey all .. Just got me a Ryobi 9" band saw no more cuttin out lips, and bodies with hand held saw .. one prob found so far.. little blade is to thin to cut out lip slots in one pass, and I'm afraid gonna get lip slot too wide or thin, or heaven forbid cock-eyed. What is the secret, do I just keep using circular saw, or jig saw on the lips or is there something not yet figured out... Thanx in advance for all your help... sittin here scratchin my head waiting for a brilliant response from the many experts on here.

I use a scroll saw, even thinner kerf, so have to make a couple of passes for thicker lip material. As long as you mark/cut the bait while it's in "square" condition and take your time cutting so you don't deform the blade while doing it, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Never mind :rolleyes: I found the answer to my question already posted here .. I figured must be just couldn't find it .. like most questions in life its not what you ask its how you ask it .. I stuck my fingers in my eyes really hard, and the lights came on.. did a search on just "BandSaw" and poof answers appeared.. :D Thanx for the previous posters of great answers and questions. Black Jack , Riverman, always seem to have the answers I need. All hale the Kings of hardbaits. :lol: of course others have great answers too .. these 2 seem to always have the answer I need. I'd like to spend the day with each one of the guru's here .. be like going to the high alter of lure building.

For what it is worth I have found that I make better cuts with a blade is that is not too thin. This goes against what some others will tell you here but keep in mind that I am cutting out musky baits. If you are working with bass lures the smaller blade might be better for the tight radius corners.

Here is a little tip too that has really improved my cuts that someone shared with me some time ago. Trace out the lure and cut right on the outside edge of the line. By doing so you can see if you have moved away or toward the line. Once the bait is cut out then go to your belt sander/drum sander, and even out the areas that aren't perfect.

Jed V.

we cut our lip slots on the table saw when the sthe stock is square. i use a standard kerf blade carbide. it cuts 1/8 for the lexan lip. if you plan to do many baits thats the fastest and same results every time. but my band saw is priceless for all of the other work