michael merrill

One very, very tough one part clearcoat

After researching this site,and witnessing tempers ,attitudes, and genuine desire to use an easier clearcoat that is tougher than epoxy,I would like to offer up an opinion.Moisture-cured urethane was designed to seal and protect wooden boats.After using it ,I have witnessed a very slight amber tone that does not increase with age because of the UV inhibitors present.This does not bother me.The toughness of this clearcoat is multiplied by using it as a sealer and topcoat and all clearcoats in between.There are inherent problems though with colors running if the lure is dipped without flashing over the paint. :cry: This type of finish requires some humidity also,because it uses the moisture in the air to cure properly.If the proper humidity level is maintained during finish,this stuff is unbelievably tough,and doesn't take long to cure-72 hrs.After 4hrs. it is tack-free.The biggest problems I have had were paint compatability and shelf-life.Lacquer paints don't pose a problem as long as the following urethane coat is applied over a decent flash coat of clear.The shelf life is not a problem if sealed and stored AIRTIGHT.Proper ventilation is a MUST during use.This stuff is tougher than Tarzan's feet and will handle expansion and contraction issues that epoxies sometimes have problems handling.It takes rip-rap abuse better than any other I have witnessed.The most wonderful thing is the fact that this finish was engineered for the abuse that a fisherman will give.I would not recommend spraying it because of the complex solvent mixture used as the base vehicle.I also have not been able to thin it once curing begins in the container.Oh, and it costs me about 45 dollars per quart.I haven't found a source that ships in 5 gallon increments. :( Famowood is the owner, Woodworker Supply is the source, and Duratuff is the namebrand. :D

I found it in quarts $22.49 and gallons 41.99 .. a liitle cheaper than your buying it for . Sounds good to me .. Im gonna get a quart and try it out

http://leichtung.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=953-446

They have retail locations

Albuquerque, New Mexico 5604 Alameda Pl. NE

Albuquerque, NM 87113

(505) 821-0500

FAX: (505) 821-7331

Casper, Wyoming (corporate headquarters) 1108 North Glenn Rd. see map and pictures

Casper, WY 82601

(307) 237-5354

FAX: (307) 577-5272

Graham, North Carolina 1125 Jay Lane see map and pictures

Graham, NC 27253

(336)578-3001

FAX (336) 578-1401

Jed,I mentioned the very slight amber because that's what it is-very slight.I believe the manufacturer claims clear,and although one is able to see a slight amber tone if viewed more than 1/4 inch or so thick,really it is nearly crystal clear in the thicknesses used for lures.I mean, after finish is complete, white is still white-if that helps any.The durability is unmatched in my experience. It will not shatter like epoxy 8O or tear like some other types of clearcoat. :censored: I have been asked by many what I used in the past and have tried nearly everything under the sun,this stuff is it and I have eaten that cost because of the toughness of it.This is the only time that I have revealed what it is that I use now.So, for whatever thats worth,that is the best advice I can give for those looking for a single-component clear finish.This is not-I repeat-NOT normal polyurethane. B)

have the baits been time tested for yellowing. i know lokes are using a poly and some yellow. im just curious. i will look into it myself also. if it works out cool. i have seen several musky baits in my shop for repaints that are cracked real bad. etex was used as a sealer. unfortunate they have to be stripped clean. so many baits look great till there tortured and you see that it can be a real pain if you have hundreds out there

Blackjack...the fumes are unbearable without exhaust, I believe my fan is 1400 c.f.m. and it does the trick well. :) Riverman...I have plenty of pictures that are meant for advertising in the near future, but no way of posting one ... yet! :wink: I apply it by dipping. Scoop...When I say flashing I mean to spray a light coat of clear laquer followed by a heavier one... let dry before dipping into urethane.I would not recommend another paint type other than a solvent-base. :( To all...One reason that I don't spray this stuff is because of the complex solvent base.As I said earlier, once it starts to set, there is no stopping it. :censored: One has to be absolutely sure that it is stored airtight.Most urethanes cure by evaporation and will develop a "skin" on top, but not this stuff.Once it has been exposed to high enough humidity, it starts to cure throughout the batch, and there is no thinning it.All that happens is you create a larger glob of sh.. that you cannot use. :twisted: This finish is impervious to water, it is intended for continual submersion.The more water it sees the better it likes it. B)

Sounds like tuff stuff .. but the 2 lacquer coats process and needed extra ventilation longer curing time. and the problems with storing and the extra costs make it not sound so hot. Sounds like alot of extra work, than with other products, humm not so sure I want to use it after all. I contacted the manufacturer .. they won't or don't sell in any size but 1 pint and 1 quart, but they will sell factory direct For net invoices of $1,000.00 or more, Eclectic Products, Inc. will ship freight prepaid. they have opening order minimum of at least $250.00, net invoice.

Here is my contact at Eclectic name and number for those who want to buy that much volume of the product.

Linda D. Gibson

Sales & Marketing Associate

ECLECTIC PRODUCTS, INC.

Phone: 800/693-4667

Fax: 541/746-1983

But for now I think after weighing all the ups and downs etex and devcon will be the way to go until I'm ready for high volume.. long ways from that point yet.

Michael,You have been totally honest about the product you are using.I have used a similar product in the past called Pelucid.Very tough finish, IMO not the shiniest (???) or the clearest I've tried.Shelf life sucks,odor is almost unbearable.I was told to keep it in an airtight container i.e.mason jar and in my refrigerator(dont think so) to help with shelf life.And yes if you dont flash them with or w/o using solvent based paints they will definitley run your colors.I believe after fighting w/ this product several times I'll stick with E-TEX or 2-ton.Dont forget to mention the warning label about the carcinogens.Just my 2 cents.

as stated in the above post. new lustre is a brush on, or poured. its pretty bullit broof for teeth and once again personal preference. in canada its easier to purchase then etex., probably basically the same proponents ase etex. i just think it dries a little faster and a little more clear to show detail