BB

my first sad attempt at scales.

i wanted to use tack adhesive on the mesh. but i used masking tape to pull it tight instead.

it was supposed to have gold strips.but its all green.and the ridges are high.

not pretty huh.any tips?thanks

oh you can click on the pic to make it bigger.but it might blind your eye's from horror. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ th_zzzzzzzhgfvbgzzzzzz015.jpg

Gary

What I do is wrap the mesh around the bait and hold it snug with one hand and spray one side at a time. After I spray the scales I slowly hold the bait in front of a small heater for 10 seconds or so then gently remove the netting. Make sure the scales are completely dry before you do the other side. Jim

hey it happens to everyone(i hope!). i just clean the paint off with a rag and thinner/alcohol, and try again.

what i find works for me is to wrap the mesh around and over the top of the lure and secure the bottom edge with a whole row of clothes pegs. dont spray too much paint. undercoat the lure with white and let it dry before applying the mesh. the angle/direction of spraying also affects the effect. i tend to spray darker tones from the rear of the lure and light tones from the front direction.

look at this website -

http://www.lurebuilding.nl/indexeng.html

look at "techniques", "colour patterns", and click on some of the scale patterned lures to see the clotehs peg arrangement.

useful site too.

peter

I think I learned this from Skeeter.

Take your scale material and put it into an embroidery hoop.

http://www.joann.com/images/catalog/C/A/K/021/p_CAK021-d.jpg

Lay the bait flat on a table, lay the hoop over it with the neeting on the downside of the hoop. Hold the hoop steady so that it cannot move. Spray through the hoop with light strokes two or three times. Very carefully lift the hoop so as to not touch the painted lines......perfect.

You can buy an embroidery hoop at Wal-Mart for 1.00; the one I am using has about an 8-10 diameter.

Yeehaw!!! 8O8O8O8O8O:lol:

Jed V.

BB,

You can also try a 3M spray adhesive: http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/office/mounting/node_GS3KCQ2R9Bbe/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSRCJ327Z3ge/gvel_GSTYR4LHFQgl/theme_us_mounting_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

spray a light coat of the 3M adhesive on one side and you can attach it to the lure. works much better and any of the other methods.

BB,

i had the same thing going on here as well heheheheh...spray can was too close to the lure, in the end too much got piled up and turned out like that. everyone's had a point in their luremaking career. cheer up dude, u're not alone.

what paint are u using?

i use rattle can sprays. laquer based. so when a mistake is made, boy, to cover the mistake means a lot or work stripping the paint. should be much easier with water soluble paints.

i have even thrown some badly affected ones away out of frustration. come to think of it now, very sad indeed. should've saved it before i let my frustration get in the way. hehehehhe...

now i try to apply very thin coats of paint by spraying further from the lure, with thin, multiple coats.