finlander

airbrushing rookie question

New to this, only used can before. Bought a Paasche VL in October. Tried it acouple of times, then put it away as new furnace was installed. Just tried it today, 1st time since. Airflow is there, but no paint is coming up the tube in the bottle. Using Createx, had pressure at 45psi. Is there a simple thing I am missing here???? I remember in October of having to loosen the cap on the jar to get the paint to flow. I have the #3 needle in. There is a hole in the jar cap. Is the gasket underneath blocking that? I mean, the cap should be on tight, right??? 8O Thanks for the help ( I pray ) , in advance.

I also use a VL.With a #2 needle and tip I can spray about anything I want...except(here it comes) when it comes to pearls.Just cant seem to get them to spray right w/o thinning them.They want to clog and spit no matter how clean my ab is.That does'nt make much sense w/ a medium needle,just how it is for me.I think I'm gonna bump up the pressure a little.All other media sprays just fine but I still cut it a very little.It just seems to help it atomize a little better

The one pearl I tried last night sputtered too. The rest worked at around 24 psi. I have been putting the paint in the glass jars that came with the kit. Digging in the archivesm someone said they sprayed in right from the paint container. Is there a cap and tube available for a VL? I hate to waste any paint, rinsing out the jars. The paint will skim over and harden if left open to the air, correct? whether I use glass jars or the original paint containers with a tube. Thanks for the help. Bruce

it's my experience that all pearls & metallics have to be thinned and mixed properly in order to spray in my vl i use #1 at 40psi. most of the time unless I'm going for real tight spray patterns then some times i take the nose cap off for a really fine pattern. A jig saw with a large enough spring clamp to hold the bottle work great as a mixer.

I am new at this too but I am using Auto Air pearlescent colors without thinning them in my Paasche VL with #3 tip & needle. I get the 4oz bottles and they sell a plastic spray adapter top for the bottle and you can spray right from the bottle after shaking it thoroughly. I spray windex through my airbrush between colors and when I finish for the day. So far it works fine. I just need to practice more...still learning. I hope this helps.

Loved my old Paasche VL, so I bought me a new one for birthday/Christmas present. hook it up to my compressor and it didn't spray as much paint as my old one. Took it apart and found that the paint body nut that holds the small brass cone tip is different inside. It is fluted. I have better control but less paint and the spray was now pulsing, so I upgraded my compressor. Had a cheap... errr... inexpensive Harbor Freight Special (Central Pneumatics), which did me well for a couple years. I now have a Polar Bear Twin Piston Compressor. Works great, auto on off, no pulsing and plenty of pressure. I am still working on the most desirable pressure setting for my type of spraying using Createx. But this new setup is looking like a winner for me. I even got me a new no 3 needle and tip for my old VL which is also connected in tandem with my new VL. B)

Loved my old Paasche VL, so I bought me a new one for birthday/Christmas present. hook it up to my compressor and it didn't spray as much paint as my old one. Took it apart and found that the paint body nut that holds the small brass cone tip is different inside. It is fluted. I have better control but less paint and the spray was now pulsing, so I upgraded my compressor. Had a cheap... errr... inexpensive Harbor Freight Special (Central Pneumatics), which did me well for a couple years. I now have a Polar Bear Twin Piston Compressor. Works great, auto on off, no pulsing and plenty of pressure. I am still working on the most desirable pressure setting for my type of spraying using Createx. But this new setup is looking like a winner for me. I even got me a new no 3 needle and tip for my old VL which is also connected in tandem on the new compressor with my new VL. B)