Jarron

How to test lure tension stregnth?

Hello!

First let me say that I have been reading these forums for a long time but this is my first post. Great information and great people! Thank you!

My question is in testing the strength of the lure from front eyelet to rear. Currently I test by placing an in line scale and applying pressure. This seems to work well with results of over 65lbs on a 10" muskie lure.

However, it makes sense to me that if fishing line is rated at 50lbs wouldn't the line break prior to there being 60lbs of pressure placed on the lure by the fish?

Also how much strength should a lure like this be able to hold for muskie?

Your input is greatly appreciated. Maybe you can shed some light into this for me.

Also anyone know where to get 1.5" stainless .073 screw eyes?

Thanks,

Jarron

Jarron,

Yes, in theory the line would brake before the lure but when the fish is head shaking and rolling and hopefully gets in the net. You can?t imagine how much strength and power they have. I have had a 35? fish straighten out 125LBS split rings when I was using 80LBS line.

Save yourself and the fish headaches. Step up to the .092 Magnum Screw eyes. Then you don?t have to think about it when you have a big fish on.

http://www.staminainc.com/plug_hardware/magnum_screweyes_092.html

-Corey

funny thing here we dont use rings on troll baits. the guys here want hooks to hang close to the bait. we T and bullhorn the hooks. it creates less hook rub. never had screws pull out yet. you nust have had a bad ring but muskies are crazy arent they. we use the 1/1/2 scres on baits. our pull screw goes thru the lexan lip. so theres never been a problem

Here's a link to the 1.5" stainless .072" eyes. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/plug-screweyes-screws/307931.aspx

The net is definately where the most damage happens to a muskie lure. From some tests I've done, I've found the self-made screw eyes (twisted wire) glued in with expanding polyurethane glue has alot more hold than a glued in screw eye. Sounds scary, but there really is no pulling them out. If your predrilling your screw eye holes anyways, it really doesn't take that much more time per bait.

Thanks for the info.

The 0.92 are just too big looking for my lures. With the testing I have now done, the .072 eyes can withstand over 100lbs of pressure at all angles. I will however note that the screw eyes are not glued and bends at that pressure. It makes sense that if the rings fail before the eyes, the lure is strong enough.

By the way I found the eyes cheapest at:

http://www.mooreslures.com/

Thanks again,

Jarron