Matt

Where to begin in making a Crank Bait from wood

Using Balsa stock, any suggestions on where to begin or how to go about recreating a crank bait already in production. Besides needing the obvious, like a scroll saw, is there any specialty tools or items. If there is, are they any subsitute for them? :?:

Get a sander also, a table top model with a belt and a wheel.

Trace the bait you'd like to duplicate on a piece of paper. Cut out the shape with scissors then paper shape to the rubber cement to the wood you'll be using.

Cut, shape with the sander, primer, paint, add the hood hangers and lip, not necessarily in that order.

Clear with devcon 2 ton epoxy.

Catch copious amounts of fish.

Easy way to copy a already produced biat is to get a bait trace the outline of the bait on to the balsa. Flat sided baits are easist to duplicate. No special tools required for making just a few. Dont even need power tools.

I made my first bait with a coping saw and a hand drill, disposable razor knife, and sand paper. Professional paint jobs not so easy without airbrush. But if hand painting works for you it sure wont matter to the fish.

After all you cranking it past their fast so fast .. and trust me no fish is all that picky.. "oh yum here comes diner .. eekkk its a hand painted baited .. so low class wait till a pro painted bait comes ripping past" The one thing you will want to buy is a rotesire kit with motor for drying your baits after you put on the top coat of devcon 2 ton epoxy or envirotex or what ever type of epoxy you settle on to coat the bait .. trust me I tried all the cheap routes .. ended up gettin a rotessire .. best money Ive spent yet $20 - 30 bucks worth every penny unless you want to hand flip the lures every few minutes so that the epoxy doesnt run to one side while curing.

There is sooo much info on here and if ya get stuck feel free to ask .. lots of free help here .. best thing is to do some searching of the forums. Just about every question has been answered by someone at least once.

Ive been building crankbaits since about the middle of Dec , already built several. There is alot of info here and a lot to learn ... no wonder so few build them for there own use instead of buyin premade baits .. its a lot of work to build all you will need to fish for the year if you fish as much as I do .. but it sure as hell is alot of fun. and the people here are great bunch of people. Have fun .. and dont get discouraged .. I almost threw in the towel several times. But with the encouragement of many here I kept going back to the drawing board. check out my web site to see some of the lures Ive built so far. click on the www link out from my nick.

Another thought did post b4, I would recommend a band saw for cutting out lips about $100 bucks for new bench top mode.

And if you have a air compressor, Freight Harbor Tools has cheap air brush on sale recently for 5 bucks, not a great air brush but good enuff to start, I bought one and is pretty good for 5 bucks, I also recently bought 2 more, real pain to clean it out every time you change the color of paint.

This way got my 3 main colors ready to go. But of course you still have to clean out really good when your done.

And another thing that would be I would say is a must have is a drill press, most hardware and home stores have a electric drill adapter that turns your drill into a small drill press. for 15 - 25 dollars. I was lucky enuff to get a old Atlas Drill press for free.

I still do mine all by hand. I wouldn't have a place for a band saw even if i wanted one. I only use a power tool for cutting out the profiles as close as i can so i don't ruin the bait profile, and after that profile with snap blade. It sounds primitive, but it does the trick for me at the moment.

I also use a drill. This one is a necesary for weighting. And a hobby airbrush kit, with a lousy and loud air compressor.

When i began lure building i didn't even know about this site, even though it would've helped me a lot. But the best u can learn is thru trial and error. Believe me there is no better way than this. Aven after 3 or something like this years i have to throw out lures, or give them to friends to put on theyr key chain. They look really nice :-D :-D

With balsa baits i guess u could use just the drill itself, and drill by hand the holes u want. Believe me it's soft eneugh, but u might need some sharper drills. I know this because this is how i started. :wink::rolleyes:

U could use your PC to help u in reproducing baits better.....

savacs is right.Theres nothing like hands on.First readall the posts you can and try and get the most info you can then just do it.There is so much knowledge here you could'nt have come to a better place to find it and everyone is willing to help in any way they can.Nicest bunch of guys you'll meet.You'll find out the more you do it you will reach a point where you'll say to yourself"damn I think I'm catching on"oops I forgot the FINALLY part.LOL.you will make lots of mistakes,but you hav to crawl before you can walk.Just call me Mr.Cliche.You have my # if theres any detailed ?'s just call.

savacs is right.Theres nothing like hands on.First readall the posts you can and try and get the most info you can then just do it.There is so much knowledge here you could'nt have come to a better place to find it and everyone is willing to help in any way they can.Nicest bunch of guys you'll meet.You'll find out the more you do it you will reach a point where you'll say to yourself"damn I think I'm catching on"oops I forgot the FINALLY part.LOL.you will make lots of mistakes,but you hav to crawl before you can walk.Just call me Mr.Cliche.You have my # if theres any detailed ?'s just call.

I use 2 power tools; a scroll saw and a Dremel multitool. Of the 2, the Dremel is the most useful. Shape the raw blank with a Dremel sanding drum, drill the ballast hole with a Dremel high speed cutter, drill the hangers and line tie with Dremel drill bits. Cut eye holes for 3D eyes with another Dremel high speed cutter. That works for me. Other tools do a fine job for other builders, depending on what feels handy to them and how many crankbaits they're building.

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. I can see right now that what was said is true, nice bunch of people.

One thing I keep reading about that has me baffeled. Weighting the bait. I take it that the CB's are two peices instead of a full body? If so, has anyone tried a full body (one piece)? :?: