RiverMan

For all you beginners

I have a drawer in my garage (my shop) in which I have tossed "reject baits" over the last few years. The drawer eventually filled entirely up and since that time I have tossed the bad ones in the garbage, in the corner, etc. The rejects were thrown away for a variety of reasons, some wouldn't swim, some the paint wasn't right, some had a horrible finish, etc. Anyway, I emptied the drawer into a 5-gallon bucket this morn and they barely all fit, dumped them on the floor and took a snap-shot.

So if you are struggling with the 1st or 41st lure you have built, you are not alone, welcome to world of hard-bait building!! It's a blast!

Here is a link to the picture:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c48/RiverMan1/?action=view&current=junk.jpg

jed v.

Thanks so much for posting this, I get so discouraged sometimes...enough to want to quit all together.

Spend your time and money on the wood, paint, top coat, bill material, lead, line ties...you shoot the most awesome paint scheme...and that sucker won't swim, or it's a sinker...or just a plain stinker.

I have a wall in my basement I slam those stinkers up against as hard as I can...doesn't help anything...but gets some of the disappointment and anger out.

Yep, this is supposed to be fun... but sometimes it just ain't no fun at all...this is not the hobby/business for the perfectionist...it can get down right discouraging.~

So true Terry, I think that's why it's so important to do a bunch of testing before you ever take a bait to paint. Most of what you are seeing in the pile is failed swimmers. With new ideas, I might weight three identical shapes in various ways and then run down to the river to see what they will do. I just keep testing and testing and eventually get one that is perfect!! Once you do, then and only then do I worry about going on to paint. About the only time I have a real loser now is with topwater baits....it's hard to predict what a wooden lure will do between bare wood and a finished product.

jed v.

We found out how true this can be just a couple of weeks ago.Had 20 baits shaped,all the hardware,nice paint and clear.Went to run 'em and they all sank like rocks.Realized we put the wrong weight in them.Major brainfart.Just when you think you've got it going on.Its a model that we had'nt made for a year.Is'nt it ironic how we are our own worst critics.I guess its the perfectionist coming out in us all.Even when you get one painted and cleared you sit back and admire its beauty for a minute and then ARGHHH theres a speck of black on its belly the size of a pin point.Oh well back to the workbench.