Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MonsterMusky

Taxidermy paints ?

8 posts in this topic

I was thinking of getting a bunch of taxidermy paints from VanDykes, they are cheaper than Createx and are already blended for realistic colors, you can get water or lacquer.

What do you guys think ? How do they spray ? are they better that createx etc...?

I would like to find some paints that spray at 20-30 psi without thinning, but I definitely like the realistic colors available.

Have'nt had any experience with Tax.paints personally,but if I'm not mistaken there have been a couple of posts about possible reactions w/Etex or Devcon clear coats.Could be if you flashed it before clearing it would be o.k.???????

I use taxidermy lacquer paints with great success, however I do not use a two component clearcoat.I have heard that some taxidermy paints do not mix well with etex or devcon.I suspect the transparent colors cause the most problems,because those are the ones that I take extra steps with also.Not sure why, but sumpin be differnt! :-D

So does anyone know why the colors run when you apply a 2 part epoxy ? Or do they ? Is it only waterbase that runs or lacquer ?

Maybe if you did spray a thin layer of that taxidermy clear coat first and than apply the epoxy ? Could be a nice looking result.

I'm a rookie at building and painting, so I guess I'll do some trial and error attempts.

Thanks for the replies.

I use the Polytranspar lacquers and love them.They spray very smooth at 30-35 PSI. If you go with the taxidermy paint, order a shade darker than what you want to end up with. Dark bass green will will look about like light bass green in a light coat. I've not had any clearcoat issues with it. Cliff

I tried polytranspar and when the etex went over the top it blistered. I was then told that it needed to "cure" so I waited three days, same thing again. I threw away about a gallon of it in various colors.

jed v.