savacs

New type of rattle trap (at least for me) is it worth it?

I want to make a fat rattle trap type of bait. With or without the rattle in it. The action is the one i want to get.

I wanted to know if someone tryed it by now, cause i've only seen the skinny type ones(there may be a reason :D cause the fatter one might not work, or because the fatter one would be much heavier than a regular one---which one is it?), like rapala rattlin. To make it even more difficult i want to make it a slow sinking one, that when sinking will slowly turn a bit side to side because of it's fat belly(this will drive pike, and zander crazy arround here). I know that suspending, even floating regular rattle traps were made, but i've seen no fat ones by now.

And to make a bit snagg proof, and trickyer to make, for rocky places for example, i'll install regular hooks instead of treble hooks on it's back, "attached" with a couple of magnets.

I'll probably be able to get started on this in about 3-4 weeks, cause i want to finish some other lures by then to be ready for the new season.

The sugestions i got from a friend of mine were : make it's top part of the body hollow with or without rattle, and weigh it as low as possible. He said he ayn't sure this would work(he didn't try it), but i'll try until i'll make it work, even if it sounds like impossible :D (well here's a project for me) :P:rolleyes:

savacs, this probably isn't exactly what you are talking about, but Cordell made a big 1oz. rattling spot and Jerry Lohr makes something similar. Both of these are slightly wider than the big 1 oz Rattle Trap and bigger Lucky Crafts. Of course, all of these baits sink.

I've had similar ideas about baits without a uniform width. Fun stuff to play around with.

We might change tips, after we try a couple of these baits. I guess a 7cm lure like this will weigh at least 1 oz, but will be slow sinking type lure. I want to fish it in shallower waters for pike ans zander(this is the idea fast jerk of the rod, and then let sink slowly to the bottom, with a small side to side wobble, even if the bottom is muddy, it won't sink in the mud as regular rattle traps do because of it's belly and boyancy properties).Rattle traps because of their trebles on the belly they pick up everything in their way, and if a snag is in one's way it'll deffenetly hoock it.

hope the picture appears.here's apicture of the trap style bait i made the other week after posting a question on TU it's 10cm longx 3.5cm deepx17mm wide across the back.it's weighted at the nose sinks slowly about 2-3 seconds a foot and has a nice wriggle on the retrieve.don't know if this is along the lines your thinking but hope it helps rattrap.jpg

nice bait. is that wood that is weighted?

savacs, being here in the States, and having a hard time thinking about cms, I believe the baits I was referring to may be a little bigger. Probably 4 1/2 inches long and 3 inches in height at the largest point.

I've actually wondered how a Speed Shad-type bait, if you are familiar with that, would do with no lip and a line tie on the top. I'll probably try something along these lines, made of cedar, weighted to sink slow.

Also, for bass, I suspect any of these types of baits will work better without rattles in the fall -- which also explains my interest in doing something along these lines.

I was thinking of a 2" 3/4" bait, that's about 4/5 inch at it's widest point.

I'll make it smaller because of it's volume, compared to regular rattle traps.

I think i'll weigh this more under the line tie, than in the nose, cause i still can't figure out the phisics involved. I'm afraid it might not get at that point of "equilibrium", that keeps the bait from turning over.

Thx for the input BEZYB ! How heavy is that? I guess that's about the descent i want to get from my lure as well, to be able to maintain it above the bottom or weedbed during the long pauses.

Scoop! U were talking about something like this? http://www.goose7.com/bomber030%5B1%5D.jpg or the rapala shad rap type of bait.