shaggy

New Lure Design

jmik26, you hit the nail on the head. My lure was/is the beaver bug, I have a better name for mine though. My lure is a lot better looking than that one, I also have a different idea that they are not producing. I also have a great new lure that I am also working on for crappie.

Theres been a couple of custom molds that I have made for guys that the bigger companies have coppied. one of them was zoom about 3 years ago.

There are people from tackle manufactures that read these websites and then buy baits from the people selling them and a year later walla your bait is on thier catalog.

Theres an outside rep for zoom that had done this on a few occasions to a few of my customers.

I dont think its robbery after all alot of us do the same on the bigger companies baits as well. too be honest I consider it flattery that a big company would take a design that I made or someone made and make baits on that level.

Shaggy, I am kind of interested on how you were molding the skirts? Did you inject? Solder the skirts on or was it a mold? Took a close look at the BP beaver bug and it looks like it would be a complicated mold, maybe a 8 piece????

Unfortunately its been so cold in IL that I have not had a chance to use the beaver bug but I am confident it will catch fish. I am prototyping a bait now that will make the IKA's, Kinami Plams, twin tail grubs, and all other soft plastic skirts look like a 2 year old chew toys for a pitbull. Our prototype has so much action its unbelievable..... Can't wait to get it out in the public. The one advantage that you and me have is normal people will not be able to make this complicated of a bait. Even if they can produce it, they will give up because its labor intensive.

Either way I would not give up, only having two people in the whole world make the beaver bug is great for you..... Look how many different types of Senkos there are and people are still turning a profit.....

Bondo will be my next try. How well does bondo work with soft plastic? I was reading some of the tutorials on the subject, and did not see the bondo soft plastic in there.

Bondo has worked great for me (I'm pouring grubs/twisters)....Only drawback is the ZERO flexibility factor...Basically this means that the top of your bait must be completely flat (which means the top of your mold is completely open)...Otherwise you can't remove the bait from the mold. With RTV (& some skill :)) you can get a fairly well rounded top, it won't be completely round, but it will have some curvature...I am currently working on a 2-part, multi-pour, hybrid bondo/RTV mold... I produced one and it worked fairly well!...The grub almost looked like it came from an injection mold (all sides were completely round)..If only RTV was just a tad bit cheaper!!!!...RTV experimentation costs a TON!! Anyone know where to get cheap RTV?