Midgeman

Converting Jig Head Mold to weedless...

Hello! First post here so I hope its in the right spot...

Has anyone ever converted a non-weedless jig mold to a weedless head? Someone had mentioned to me a dremel tool will do the trick, any suggestions? The mold is a Do-It tapered tube head (90 degree) and I want to add a single wire guard. Thanks in advance for the replies!

If it is a single wire weed guard, I would make sure I had it in the right spot, close the mold tight and then lay the mold on something solid and hit the mold with a hammer. I have never broke a mold or hit my finger yet :)

With a small wire you are using a dremel to me would be difficult. I have a friend who has a machine shop and I take some molds there to modify. Takes a half a day to set it up to make the cut and then matching the other side is a bit of a challenge.

I made a 1/100 oz ball head mold with a blank do-it mold. I used a steel ball the right size and made the hole by using the above method and then laid the hook in and make the impression of the hook with the same method. On the steel ball, it mushroomed out around the ball in the mold. I took a flat file a leveled it and then hit some more. Then to gate the cavity, I used a dremel with a cutter bit.

The other option is to use a small triangular file. Use one edge of the file to score a line to take the size wire you need. If you are just using 60-90 lb coated sevenstrand sturgon leader you might be able to just make the file mark on one side of the mold and not have to modify both sides. The guard will be offset a tiny bit but hardley noticable.

Mr b

if you are going to use "wire" for the weed guard, here is how I do it.

lay the wire in the mold and position it where you want it. You may want to tack in place with a little piece of tape. Close the mold and squeeze tight. I have never used a hammer but that is an excellent idea. The wire will make a mark on both halves of the mold. Now use a needle file to "grove out" where the marks on both halves. The wire going into the head needs to fit fairly snug or you will get lead seaping thru and onto the wire. Where the rest of the wire sits is not that important. Now if you file it to deep and you get lead coming out of the wire groove.....use JB Weld to make it tight.

Tally

I modified one recently like what your wanting .. I clamped piece of flat steel to the mold exactly where I wanted the wire weed guard( edge of steel was where wanted wire) then used my dremel to grove out the mold for the wire .. repeated procedure on other side .. though is had to get exactly same location ( mirror image) but I did get it right.