finlander

rotissiere motor making noise...

Been turning a lure and the motor is making some squeeling sounds, not constant mind you, but every third turn or so. It is a Charbroil kit. I bent back that mounting plate to 90 degrees, thinking that would take some pressure off the shaft/mounting area inside the motor. Any ideas. It's in the basement, so I'm not hearing it........yet :D Thanks, the Finn

The round collar/bearing that tightens to the square shaft. Squeaked on mine. Put a drop or 2 of oil on the round collar that supports the shaft at the opposite end from the motor. It sits in the metal saddle. Its not really a bearing but acts like one. They are chrome plated generally and i think that has something to do with the squeak noise.

You could use a piece of pipe that is slightly bigger than the square rod, chuck it in a drill, and hit it with a file to make a shallow groove to ride in the slot. Then put it on the rod where you want it and duct tape it in place. If you want to get fancy you could drill and tap to use the thumbscrew that comes with the original. Mine looks like junk, but it works fine and is nice and quiet.

The heat shrink will work, but you'll probably have to use a couple of layers to get any thickness. I just used duct tape because it's a lot cheaper. There's no real stress at that point, so anything would probably work so long as the metal plate the bar rides on won't cut through it. Thinking about it, a couple of layers of heat shrink might be OK by itself without the PVC. The point is to eliminate any metal to metal contact and that'll get rid of the squealing. If you have the heat shrink around, try it. The worse that could happen is it wears through and starts squealing again.