SneakySnook

Need help with buying supplies for first time.

Hi everyone this is my first post. I've been reading the forum for the last couple of days and I'm interested in making my own plastic lures. I found a creature kit on Del-Mart that I was thinking of getting. Need to know what I need to make the lures from melting the plastic and pouring it. Besides the kit what else is needed?

Del's kits are a great way to start. He also has instructions on how to heat the plastic in a microwave in his forums. Most people use the microwave and pyrex measuring cups. One thing I will tell you is that one quart of plastic will go very quickly. I started about 5 months ago and have gone through a gallon of plastic already. Also, it is nice to have multiple molds when pouring. That way you can pour different styles of lures in the same color. Hope this helps get you started.

This is what I had to get started:

1. Microwave - bought new one for kitchen and used the old one for baits.

2. Pyrex dish - I would use the 2 cup instead of 1 cup, handles does not heat up as much.

3. Mix stick - I use stainless rod but you could use old screwdriver or something comparable.

4. Aluminum Mold - I would start of with a 2 piece mold instead of a one peice, there is less of a science to it. 2 piece you just poor into the hole until it fills up, 1 piece you have to have a steady hand and a feel for how fast or slow the plastic pours.

5. Plastic - I would use MF or Lurecraft supersoft, extremely easy to work with. This will also depend on the type of bait you are making, these two plastics are great for senkos but horrible for tubes, ie one soft one hard...

6. Softner - If using Calhoun plastic I would recommend this, if using MF or Lurecraft supersoft really not needed.

7. Color - I would start off with one color until you get the hang of it. Don't worry about saving on shipping, its almost certain that you will be ordering more supplies once you get the hang of this, its addictive 8O .

8. Glitter - I would use the glitter from the lure making sites. I have bought glitter from micheals and some work and some melt.

9. Salt - Only if your bait calls for it, ie senko, craw chunk, tube, etc...

10. Ventalation - Use a well vented area, not the home kitchen. If you pour more than 20 worms a night I would recommend this.

11. Web Sites - I order from these 3 web sites http://www.del-mart.com/shop/home.php http://www.lurecraft.com/catalog.htm http://www.fishingworld.com/M-F-Manufacturing/

Know that you have all this lets assume that you are going to making senkos. This is the process I use:

1. One cup of Lurecraft super soft platic, put in the microwave and heat until it turns from milky white to clear. Make sure that you are mixing near a fan to pull fumes away.

2. Mix in 1/8th to 1/4 cup of salt, depending how you want your senko to fall.

3. Mix in color, this could take anywere from 1 - 100 drops.

4. If mixture is stiff, reheat for 15-45 seconds.

5. Add in glitter, keep in mind that glitter might change the hue of the color, ie light watermelon will get darker when black glitter is added.

6. Throughout this process if plastic gets stiff I would reheat for 15-45 seconds.

7. Once the plastic is runny around 300-350 degrees, it will be ready to poor. Make sure all the lumps are out.

8. With the senko molds pay close attention to the ones you poor, after a couple of seconds they will start to sink. Try and top them off before they do, this will avoid problems with air pockets.

9. Remove the senko and cut the head off and put to the side to reheat.

10. Start back at step 7, sometimes you can get 2 - 4 sets of senkos without having to reheat. I usually through the heads in the plastic when I have to reheat.

I hope this helps you out, this site is a step in the right direction if you want information. Have fun, thats what its all about...... :lol: