skeeterjeff

I could use some Devcon help, too; with application though.

Sorry fellas, I'm a newby to just painting old plastic lures and have done okay with "Finish Cure". I have learned so much from all of you (thanks) and have made several attempts at using Devcon 2 Ton. My problem stems from it getting too thick to brush after about 5 minutes or even less sometimes. I have trouble finishing one bait in time.

Tried heat in every way I can think of and the ones advised here with compounded problems. Messed up more baits trying this than any other method.

I have tried rubbing alchohol and denatured, which helps to thin. But I would rather use it without this method. The few small baits that I have been able to finish in time without adding anything have had the best looking finish as well as the hardest IMO.

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide.

Skeeterjeff

jeff@texhomaland.com

First we need to make sure that you are using the long cure and not the 5 min. epoxy. I have been using Devcon for 5 yrs. and I can tell you that it is best to just use it straight out of the package. No thinning or heat is needed. I use a brush that is used for model cars. It is a testors brush and you can get them at Wal Mart for $1.00. It has a meatal piece that holds the bristles in. One of the problems that most have is that they use cheap super flexable brushes. The brush has to have some stiffness to it to spread the Devcon out. Get some on the brush, spread it on the lure and then continue to go back over that spot once or twice to help thin it out and spread it. You usually have to put a blob on the brush and then spread it out. This will keep the coating from being too thick. Devcon is a thick clearcoat to begin with. But don't panic and just keep spreading untill the thickness suits you. Then spin it. Don't worry about brush marks, they will spin out most of the time. Just have all of your stuff ready and lined up when you go to apply it. Have everything right there so you do not have to hunt anything when you need it. You will find that you have more than enough time to apply the Devcon. Skip the heat and all of that stuff and just pay attention to what you are doing. It takes some practice but you will get the hang of it. I still have my mistakes time to time, but in my opinion, Devcon is the best clearcoat for the average lure builder. Have a small jar of acetone for your brush. After you are finished take a paper towel and wipe the excess off of the brush and put the brush in the acetone for about 15 min. or alittle longer. This will clean the brush. Then take the brush out and let it dry. You can get the bristles back in action by working them alittle with your fingers. I have clearcoated over 50 baits with one brush. If you have any other questions, just ask.

Skeeter

I often work outside in an unheated workshop/storage shed too. The stuff definitely does better at above 65 degrees.

The only advice that I can give that Skeeter didn't is, Work fast and do one lure at a time. I do sometimes put one drop of denatured alcohol in it. It may help a little.

I still consider Devon a pain in the butt and will always be looking for an alternative. I think many of the people here feel the same way. Just haven't found anything that works better for people making small numbers of baits with limited budgets and no environmental permits.