WorstHunterEver

Ok, a dumb question

All right people. I have been reading your posts on here for some time because I have been wanting to start making my own lures. Well, I can't take it anymore. I am getting ready to take the plunge. I only need one thing to push me over the edge and now its up to you......I would like an estimate on cost per lure....forget about initial costs, like molds and things like that......just an estimate.

Lets say, I go to tackle store and buy a pack of Baby Brush Hogs, say $3.99 for bag of 10.....easy enough math.......40 cents per

I buy gallon of plastic, color, glitter, softer, oil....I pour up those same 10 Baby Brush Hogs....how much you recon I invest in those 10 lures?

Thanks in advance!

You are really asking a question that is very difficult to answer because there are so many variables. I would say that a guestimate would be that it is about 1/4 the cost just to make your own. This does not take into account start up equipment as you have requested like molds, pyrex glasses, microwave, etc.

If you're coming into this to save money..turn back now !! :D

Good point! :grin:

Seriously though........you can save lots of money once you get your initial expenses out of the way. Trouble is........the more you pour, the better you get. That's when it becomes an addiction. I have heard many guys say their plan is to just pour for themselves. Six months later, they've got a website. 8O

Thanks guys......not really getting into it to save money so much, although it does play a part in it.....if its going to cost me virtually the same or more to pour my own, I'll just stick to what I can get commercially, or from you guys. I really wanted to get into this because as usual, you find something you like - a color, a style a size, whatever, and then, out or nowhere, it gets discontinued. If I pour my own, I can make what I want and in what colors I want. Not to mention the fun/satisfaction aspect of it.

A website???.....I dunno about that.....if I get that good, and it looks like I can make it worthwhile, maybe I would think about it, but right now, I just want to make a few for myself, buddies, etc.......

It is not cheaper to make your own lures unless you go through alot of lures and even then iffy. If you dont use that many lures and you just want to copy something you can already buy for 3.99, you will not be saving anything.

mold $20 (hame made)

plastic and pyrex and shipping $35+(scent salt glitter color,$$$$)

time????

trial and error???

learning something new -$$$$$

initial cost atleast $55

divided by buying lures at 3.99 a pack

You need to use over 14 packs of worms before you would break even at

.40 each(stated by you)

so if say you could pour 75 packs of worms for the initial cost then they would cost 55 divided by 75 packs they would cost .74 cents a pack but that is never the real cost. time, electicity, really using the equipment longterm??? its a catch .22

Now, alot of people are pouring for a lure they CANT get or buy or a special color or size. Ive seen 16" worm that sell for like $4-5 each.

I had a mold made for a lure that is no longer avail.