tactical bass

My first crack at soft plastics

Hello all, been lurking for a while now and decided to join up. Got the itch to try to make my first plastics today by melting down some older plastics I don't use. I read about the basics of making tube baits on TU and decided to give it a shot. Threw in about 25 twister tails of various colours and came up with this...

2ndtube2.jpg

I used an aluminum rod and dipped both ends numerous times to achieve a nice thick flippin tube. One turned out nice and the other looked like crap. Neither had a skirt long enough for my liking though.

I melted my plastic in a pot on a hot plate and I think the plastic was cooling down a bit too fast in my cold garage. Noticed it got a little thick and the second tube got ruined. Will have to experiment a bit further.

So I'll have to buy one of Del's stik kits now and some real plastic. Does the Calhoun's stuff smoke when you heat it or is it just 'cause of the store bought plastics I used that I got smoked out of my garage? Anyone have any tips on making tube baits or can provide a good link?

Thanks

TB

I've heard that LC has a skirt cutter. Target has a pasta cutter with blades that can be adjusted closer. I'm making one with old single edge razor blades, glued in between sets of 1 or 2 popsicle sticks. Might work.

In any case, the strands must be thin, even and parallel for maximum action.