mossy maker

Flat Sides?

The big advantage of making a flat bait over round one is that you don't have to worry about keeping everything in line from nose to tail when you make them. As you probably know, keeping the nose and tail in a striaght line is a pain when making round handmade baits. Even the big manufactures can not consistantly do this. Take a DBIII, Poes, or any other wooden round bait and sight down the bait. 90% of the time, something will be crooked or out of line.

It really yanks my chain when folks assume that the reason I make flat sided baits is because it is just plain easier. You can weight and modify flat sided cranks just like you can round ones. Figuring out special weighting and lip techniques is every bit as hard on a flat bait as it is on a round one. I really like flat baits because I feel that the flat sides give off more vibration than round ones. The largest mistake that people make is that they think that all flat sided baits have a tight action to them. I can make a flat sided bait have any type of action that I want. Lip design and placement control the largest part of this. Flat sided baits are superior to round ones at achieving maximum depth. They slice through the water column much better than a round bait. There is less water resistance to the flat bait. I have fished ALL kinds of deep water crankbaits. The most productive ones that I have ever fished are the flat sided ones that I make myself. I rarely throw a round deep crankbait anymore. I have modified tons of DBIII's and Poes 400's for people. While they are good crankbaits, they will never out perform my flat ones.

Skeeter

Jed is right Mossy. What I said was not directed at you. You didn't step on any toes. Tons of people that I have talked to and sold baits to have asked me if the reason that I make flat baits is because it is easier and I can make more money by making more baits that way. I just feel like handing those folks a block of wood and telling them to get busy since it is so easy. It seems to me that people treat flat sided baits like a red headed step child. But I guess that is ok because alot of folks from Lexington have taken money from many tournament participants with those flat baits. Jed is also right about me getting older. I will turn 49 on the 19th. I guess it is time that I step up to the plate, stick with tradition, and get crotchety. :D Don't ever listen to Jed about clearcoats. He will lead you down the wrong path. He is evil :twisted: I tell you.

Skeeter

Well if "crotchety" is what you call it, I welcome a bunch more of it. I learn something new all the time. Even though these post's are like a jigsaw puzzle with a million pieces, If you get a piece out of each post and put them all together along with common sense and testing, you can make a pretty darn good lure. Thanks TU and the members who share their knowledge!!!! :wink:

Tally

These coupled with a narrow lip, will this design produce a bait that you can troll faster than other designs?? The reason I asked is that muskies seem to like a fast speed and I am finally getting a boat and outboard that will go faster than the electric :lol: !! 2.4 mph is the fastest I could ever get with the Minkota.......downwind too.