reelnmn

DIY Mold

Just finished up my second mold...

Compared to the first one, it looks very good. The only problem I'm having is getting rid of bubbles on the top half of the mold. I beat the mold against the table for about 5 minutes and still get bubbles. I do the same thing for the bottom, and it is nearly flawless. Any suggestions?

Also I am interested in making my own resin molds. From what I've read here, they provide better detail and consistency? I've looked for a guide on how to do this, but can't find one. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The fiberglass resin molds are really easy. I just use old glass cake pans (garge sell items), the are probably 8x8 or so. Glue your baits to the bottom of the glass pan with super glue, let the super glue dry good. Go buy some Fiber Glass Resin at you local auto-parts store, mix the resin and hardner together in the recommended amounts as per the container. And then pour it into the glass pan. Usually just takes a few hours to setup. Then just pull the mold out of the glass pan and get any remaining plastic out of the mold, use something like a drimle to clean up the mold edges, ect...

At that point I usually do about 2 pours with some old junk plastic to remove and left over fiberglass dust, ect.. from the mold and you should be all ready to go.

Be sure to follow the recommended amount of resin to harderner, to little will give you a nice nasty gummy mold, and to much hardner till cause it to have cracks in it. Been there done that.

Make sure the baits are glued to the pan really well, as if you have any places that are not glued the resin will get into that area and will require a little more use of the dremile. You can use any kind of pan from a old aluminum pie pan, metal cake pans, ect... I just prefer to use the glass pans because it makes the mold itself alot smoother.

Hope this helps you out.

personally i dont go by the chart for the reaction agent at all making resin molds.. i just go by whatever I think... and the biggest thing i can tell you, MIX IT WELL.. if you dont mix the reaction agent in to the resin well enough you will get spots of goey mess, those are just spots that didnt get mixed... so i mix for at least a minute... Ive never had a problem with cracks, ever.. I just kinda mix in the amount that seems about right... And I usually have a fully hard, cured mold in under an hour.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm trying to make a worm detailed worm mold...somewhat similar to Berkley's Powerworm. A custom aluminum mold is not an option due to cost, and plaster doesn't seem to give quite the detail I'm looking for. Are there any other alternatives for a two part mold?

Would a Silicone Clam mold work in this case?

perhaps' date=' i need to apply a gallon and a half of vaseline or wd40, but i cant get it to work.

but for 1 sided im making great molds.[/quote']

I sucessfully made a small (4"x 2") 2-part resin mold using a good amount of vaseline & mineral oil as an anti-bond agent. The sides of the two molds did manage to bond togeather..However I was able to chip away the excess resin.