pfunk

New to pouring and need advice before making a purchase

Hi everyone, great forum you all have here and lots of great/helpful info. I've spent about the past 3 hours looking through old posts and learning what I can.

I'm about to purchase an aluminum mold (or two) to start pouring some baits. I want to pour some baits that float to use for topwater situations around lily pads and such. A couple questions I have are:

1 - Is the super floating plastic the best route to go, or is there an additive I can add to the regular plastisol to make it float even after the hook has been inserted with the line?

2 - Is there a way to pour my baits (2 piece molds) where one end of the bait floats more than the other. Say for example if I poured lizards, could I mix and pour the batch so the head and top of the bait float and stay on the top of the water while the rest of the body stayed submerged?

3 - Finally if I wanted to add my favorite scent to the lures, when is the best time to do this? Is there a better time to do it to make sure the scent is the strongest possible?

Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate any feedback I can get.

Since this is your first time, I would stick with the regular plastic, the super floating plastic takes a bit of getting used to , to pour. it poursa tad thicker, I thin it out a little with softener. it needs to be mixed extreamly well before every use.

it will mix with other plastics just fine, again the super floating plastic will take some time to get used to, it will pour into molds fairly well, Ive poured it into the toad molds(2 piece) just fine. its a little thicker than regular plastic.

I havent tried pouring it into the stik molds yet.

if you add the scent before you cook your plastic it will be completely mixed into the plastic.

If you add it after it will wear off.

here is a little Trick if you dont want to add it to your plastic before you mix it. and will stay on for a while too.

Get 3 yes 3 baggys, take a pin or razor blade and cut or poke holes into the bait( best results while its sumerged in the scent) put the baits into one plastic bag with a little bit of scent. then close it up, grab another bag put it over taht one and close it up and repeat with teh last bag.

Stick it in the microwave for NO MORE than 15 seconds( you just want a little heat DONT melt the baits).

This will absorb the scent.

then after its done put it in another clean thick sealable plastic bag.

Dont not open the bag in your house or you will have an instant divorce :rolleyes:

Dont Keep it in your boat in a closed Rod locker

Dont keep it in your boat if your boat is parked outside and you have dogs and cats and even skunks( they will piss all over the boat).

Delw