Johnny Wishbone

Createx clear coat is peeling

I'm new to painting crank baits. I read a thread that stated that it's easier to use a top coat before you put scales or detail on a crank bait. I applied a clear coat and let it set for 24 hours before I painted on top of the clear coat, when I made a mistake I took a damp paper towel to lightly wipe the bait clean and the clear coat peeled off in spots ? ? ? ? What could I be doing wrong . . . . . . ? ? ? ? ?

I have not used the Createx Clear Coat, but I just hit my base Createx coats with a hair dryer for 10 to 15 seconds to set them up. I use the standard Createx Airbrush paints that are often called T-shirt paints. The directions say they must be heated so they don't come off in the wash. I have been able to do light clean up of fresh Createx over "set-up" Createx with sucess as long as I don't rub too hard.

HOWEVER, I prefer to use a coat of E-tex if I really need to protect the previous coats. If you are just painting over a base coat, this is probably not necessary.

I always use 2 coats of clear coat and set them up with a hair drier, then let em set up over night.

You're suposed to gently wipe the wet paint off with either a "damp" cue tip or paper towel..."wet paint".

I role a cue tip or even a couple of them to pick up the wet paint...spit works fine to dampen the cue tips...be gentle. :)