wantsome

How to clear coat for toothy critters?

I'm painting with water based createx and I have some concerns about clear coating with devcon or etex. I did some searches and found peeple had problems with thier clear coats and water getting under it when fishing for pike and muskie. I'm gonna be using my lures for large walleye wich can do some damage with there teeth. Anyone here have sucsess clear coating walleye lures and can share some info on how to?

I use Devcon 2ton for musky baits and feel that IMHO sealing the wood under the paint is of equal importance to topcoat. My best baits get beat up pretty good after a hlf dozen or so musky catches. The hooks and teeth take thir toll. The structural integrity of the bait is maintained under the paint and primer. I just repainted my best crank from last year and cleared it again. Good as new!

Jerk!

I use Devcon 2ton for musky baits and feel that IMHO sealing the wood under the paint is of equal importance to topcoat. My best baits get beat up pretty good after a hlf dozen or so musky catches. The hooks and teeth take thir toll. The structural integrity of the bait is maintained under the paint and primer. I just repainted my best crank from last year and cleared it again. Good as new!

Jerk!

Sounds good! My concern was of holes being punched in Through the clear coat. I'm gonna be painting Bomber long a's. I've had walleye hit em hard enough to puncture the bait itself but not near as hard as a muskie would hit. So I'm guessing the Devcon should hold. I wanted to get a idea of what how much punishment it could take. Thx

I've purchased hundreds of musky lures from a variety of manufacturers.

Devcon2 will provide a finish that is as good as any, and actually better than of the more well-known lures, from what I've seen after many years of musky fishing. One particular popular manufacturer comes to mind (and shall remain unnamed) whose finish is actually rather poor.

Most of us that musky fish prefer a lure that holds up well to the gnashing they undergo from the king of beasts, but we also understand that no lure, especially those made from wooden blanks will last forever.

I would agree with WoodieB8, be careful about using Devcon on a bomber. Devcon, etex, etc., will go on quite thick and may kill entirely the action you want from the bomber. I would personally use an auto clear as Woodieb8 suggested or three coats of Rustoleum Lacquer from a rattle can. Walleye have teeth but they aren't anything compared to a pike or musky........you should have no problem protecting the lure with a thin coat.

Jed V.

Good point Riverman I fogot to mention that I thin the D2ton with a few cc of denatured alcohol, on a bait such as a bomber a thick coat could dampen the action. I also concur that no bait will last forever but a plastic bait can be refinished a good number of times even if it gets a small hole in it. I dont mind taking a great performing bait and just beating the paint right off it. Once it takes on some water, I let it dry out and refinish it.

Jerk

Thx for the tips everyone. I'll try the Dupont first and see how it works out. If I dont like it I'll give the devcon a try and thin it out. I'll do some experamenting. I realy need a clear coat that can stand up to some abuse but not affect the action. I'll be casting the bombers with 60lb line and a 2lb sinker. When casting the bomber it can sometimes hits the sinker and vice versa. The ocasional 30lb salmon will hit too with with the force of a freight train. For those who wonder about the 2lb sinker I'm fishing the fastest current in the Great Lakes System. We tie a 2lb sinker on with a 3 way swivle about 2ft above it, and the bomber off the 3 way. Then cast it off the break wall and put the rod in a holder and sit back. The current works the bait.

i fish in canadian waters. im based in windsor. belle river is the centre of l.s.c. the thames is good for fall muskys, into the lake in the summer. we fish walleyes in the spring run jigging, summer drift tubes for bass and troll for muskies, my favorite. average year on skies is in the 200 range. border crossings are easy, higher u.s. dollar value and real beer

i use the same sealer/basecoat that Rapala&many others do here in Europe its a plasticgranulate that you disolve in acetone or virgin thinner

the application is very simple you just dip your lure in the solution until you require the thickness you want &best of all is that you dont have to worry about potlife or dripoffs since its resoluable . If you use thinner for solvant you can use it for topcoat on some colors ex most metallic laquers

is combinable with it .

thought id put in my thoughts in this post

Hi dkreegz,If you use createx paint you will have to clear it whit some clear in a ratle can(tremclad)I dont know if you know that brand???but if you use createx autoair you can use a automotive clear(urethane)whit no probleme.createx paint is not compatible whit all clear coat!make some test before you clear coat a bait that you like!!!!!!!!!!cheers,muskydan666