Brett

wood filler

APB turned me on to a new filler that is working great for me. It is the plumbers epoxy product in a tube from sLowes or Home Depot. It is a putty like product with both parts together in a roll. You pinch a piece off and mix it between you fingers. Goes on like wood filler but sets up in a few minutes and is hard as nails. I take alcohol on my finger to smooth it out because it is real hard to sand. Filled with metal particles. Paints gret and is harder than the wood.

Jerk!

Yo Brett they are all good ideas listed. Unfortunately some things that are tuff as nails can make shaping, molding and sanding difficult! EVEN with my Dremmel tool! I use Devcon to epoxy in my weights. I dont completely fill the hole with the epoxy! Once the epoxy is set and dried I will fill in the remainder of the hole with a latex wood filler. This is VERY easy to apply, sand and shape. I get the latex wood filler from home depot and a small 6 oz container is under $5.00! Once I shape and sand, I seal it with Devcon! See what I wrote to Terrydabassman in Flatsided Cranks II. Hope that helps! Cody

I find epoxy too hard to sand so I use just enough to hold the weight but not fill the hole. Once the epoxy is dry I use Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty to fill the hole. It is a powder that you can mix to any consistancy you choose. It drys very hard but is quite sandable, especially if you catch it before it has fully set. Also, it does not shrink like some of the other putties I have used.

I can not find Durham's at Lowes or Home Depot but the ACE in my area carries it. A can goes a long way so it is a good value too.

Durhams would be a good choice as I have some from making molds. I think the original request was for a filler that would be hard to knock out. Most wood fillers are either brittle or softer than wood. One good bite or bounce or hook poke and the surface is compromised. The epoxy paste, if smoothed while setting, requires little to no sanding (good thing too) and is ready for paint in 5 minutes. Been using it on my musky gliders and cranks and the areas where I add weight are almost invisble. I will try the Durhams tonight and see how it does.

Jerk

Lots of great tips here. I was looking for something that would stand up to lures being dragged through a boulder field on bottom at 5 mph,,, this stuff will do the trick. Yes a little tricky but like anything always a few tricks to learn. I'm really impressed with how hard it gets.... I file is able to work out anything you couldn't smooth down.

Jerkbait

I bought that plumbers epoxy product a few years ago and never used it. I'm going to give it a try. After reading your previous post, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I was using 5 minute Devcon which worked well but I think this plumbers epoxy will be faster, easier to work with, especially using the alcohol on your finger to smooth out. I have tried latex and other fillers but had some problems with cracking and chipping out just like you were saying. Thanks. Jim