dtrs5kprs

scroll saw question

Finally broke down and bought a scroll saw...WOW, why didn't I do that sooner? Sure makes quick work of cutting balsa bodies. Will try it on some lexan lips this week/weekend.

My idea of a power tool pretty much stops and starts with dremels, so...

1) Any suggestions on blades/speeds for cutting balsa & lexan?

2) Do spiral tooth blades work as well as they look like they should?

When cutting lexan or similar materials the slower speed works better as there is less friction. A little trick I learned was to saw into a block of wax or rub a candle on the blade. It helps alot. Just give it a try and let us know what you think of this idea. Good luck. Ken Schmitz

You can get Parafeen Wax at any grocery store. This is the block wax that is using when canning vegetables and so on.

The best blades for a scroll saw that I have found are the ones used for cutting PVC pipe. I think they have about 15 tpi. or something like that. I get them at Lowes. You can get about 12 of them for less than $5.00 It has been more than a year since I have had to buy any, so my memory is a little slow. The other thing that is real good about these blades is that they are thin both ways. They can turn corners easily because they are not real wide. Also they do not break as often or as severly as larger blades. As anyone knows that uses scroll saws alot, a broken blade while cutting acts like a sewing machine needle. YOU CAN put one through your hand. The blade will cut lexan and all woods very well. My saw is a single speed and cuts Lexan just fine. The secret to cutting lexan is to keep the paper on it when you cut it. This will keep the Lexan from melting together after you have made the cut.

Skeeter