poppoer face

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 feathercast

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

OK I have looked everyplace & can't find nothing so it's time to ask the experts. How do you get the concave face on a popper? I've got the half moon, just would like to do the concave.

#2 FiR3 TiG3R

FiR3 TiG3R

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

there is a special grinding bit to fit on a drill. it is sherical in shape...i'm not sure what it's called but i think u can find it in a hardware store.

do u have an aquarium? have u seen a round air stone? it looks exactly like that, with a stalk to fit into the drill.

they come in many shapes. some spherical, some shaped like a cone.

hope this helps :)

#3 Terrydabassman

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 12:20 AM

What ya need is a Typhoon Carbide Bur (Sphere) and you can buy them

#4 Art Brush

Art Brush

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:40 AM

Here's a link to Ken (My Lures) Schmidt's half moon / slope faced popper tutorial.
Ken shows how to set up a jig to consistantly cut half moons and slopes.

#5 Joe

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:40 PM

Try this for EZ popper faces. After finding the center of the face, I use a countersink for my first step It will make a cone shape hole in the front of the bait. Next, I use a router bit that is an inside full round. I use it to enlarge the cone shape hole and round off the inside face of the bait. Both of these bits I use in a homemade set up. A small motor attached to a mounting board with a drill chuck added and a foot pedal from an old sewing machine for variable speed. Good Luck, Joe