Fat-Shads

Help with weighting glidebaits

I know that this has been asked before, but I wanted to give specifics as to what I am making. I am making 8" and 10" musky baits out of Mahogany. The problem that I am having is that when I twitch/pull the baitk, the front of the bait wants to come up. I would assume that I need to either weight the front more and/or take some weight out from the back of the bait. The wood is 1" thick, edges are rounded with a router and I have been placing 4 3/4oz weights in the 10" bait. The total weight of the lure is about 7oz. My 8" bait is about 5oz and I have been putting 2 3/4oz weights, on each side of the front screw eye. I don't have the 10" bait on my website yet, but if you can take a look and offer any suggestions, that would be great. All of the baits on my site are 8". Also, is it better to put the front screw eye at the front of bait or on the top of the bait? Any help, would be great. My website is www.muskiebaitsonline.com

You shouldn't be using a specific amount of weight for your gliders, all must be tested individually. I test every single one of my lures to make sure they remain level while they sink.

Asumming the lure is falling level your problem is one of two things:

1. Your screw eye is a bit too high;

2. The lure isn't heavy enough.

jed V.

Jed,

Thanks for the info. The bait seems to be dropping level, but I may have too much weight towards the rear. I will post a picture of my 10" bait when I get home. It's got a little bit of a drop belly at the front and then tapers to the back. When you say the screw eye is too high, do you mean to lower it, below the front of the bait? Just want to make sure I understand.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

I know that this is a little off topic from weighting however I'm in the middle of making some baits and would like to know something.

I've noticed that the front eye of most of the baits I see made here have the front eye horizontal instead of vertical and I was wondering if that is just a preference or is there a specific reason for this.

I'm waiting for the ice to clear a little before going and testing my bait.

Thanks,

Camel1918

If the bait is falling level then it's weighted correctly. If it still wants to come to the surface that's odd unless you don't have it falling fast enough. The eye placement is generally more critical on topwater baits. My guess from what you have told me is that you are going to have to change shapes for your bait....don't let this bother you, there are a million options for lure shape. The last thing I would try is to move the eye up...when I say up I mean toward the back of the bait.

Camel,

I have turned the front screw eye vertical and horizontal and could tell no difference in the action.

jed v.