Lurehead03

crankbait bills

Cutting your own lips is not too hard.

Here's how I do it.

You need a pattern, go here and download and print this tip sheet.

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/download_tips.htm

1- Select the pattern you want to use.

2- I use 1/16" Lexan, it is strong enough for any bass crank.

3- Cut the pattern out in a square or rectangle.

4- Cut your Lexan in about the same size square or rectangle

cut at least 6 pieces. leave paper ON.

5- Using a spray glue such as 3M or Duro, lay the pieces out

and spray, then stack up with the pattern on top piece.

clamp together with a spring loaded clamp or a C-clamp,

don't tighten C-clamp too tight and use wood to protect lips.

6- Let glue dry, then using a bandsaw cut around the pattern

leaving the pattern line, the cut does not have to be perfect

at this time, do not cut inside pattern lines.

7- Then using a sander, sand to the edge of the pattern lip.

8- Sand slow and when you separate the pieces you will have

6 perfect lips.

This works really well for me.

Coley

First of all the Lexan will not be a full 1/16". it will

be .060" which is almost 1/16"

Here is another article you will want to read about crankbait lips.

http://www.angelfire.com/tn/treetotreasure/lips.html

As far a buying Lexan, I don't know. The site I bought mine from

has shut down. Check with your local glass company first.

Then do a search on the net.

Coley

I became tired of the repetative bill making too. All of my crankbaits have the same shaped bill. They are all made of lexan and are all the coffin shaped bills.

I had a man laser cut as many as he could for me out of a sheet of 48" x 96" lexan. I forget just how many lips that was, but it's alot! I've got them in a box in my basement.

I'd be willing to part with some of them if you guys want some of them. You can email me at cbowman@engconcepts.com.

Charles

Cutting lexan can be a pain. The best way that I have found is to use thin fine tooth blades to cut it with. Ones that can be used to cut PVC pipe are good blades. .060 Lexan is the way to go. Leave the paper on the Lexan and trace out your lip. Cut the lip out. The paper will keep the Lexan from melting behind itself as you cut it. This will work for 1/8 in. also, but it is not as clean as .060 which is about 1/16. After you cut it you can dress the edges with a file. You can also cut Lexan with a table saw or a 2 or 3 fluted straight router bit. But when using these type of blades, they should be carbide tip blades. Lexan is also called polycarbonate.It was developed by General Electric. Lexan is their trademark name for polycarbonate. You can buy it at most glass shops. You cannot break it. There are different grades of polycarbonate. The highest grade is what they make bullet proof glass out of. It is not glass, it is polycarbonate. The more pure the polycarbonate the more expensive it is. This is one of the things that many many people do not know. Most polycarbonate is made with some kind of filler mixed in. What the filler is...I do not know. A 1 ft. square piece of bullet proof polycarbonate is about $80.00 You definitely don't need that. But if you buy real real cheap stuff with alot of impurities then it can wear very quickly. A good medium grade will do very nicely. Ask the folks you get it from about its durability.

Skeeter

I just bought a rotissirie motor kit, which included the 36" square shaft in two parts, and two pronged meat holders. It's a 1 rpm motor.

I used the meat holders to attach my wheels, bending the prongs over to hold them to the wheel.

It works great, and took about 1 1/2 hrs. to make.

I'd gladly post a photo, but I don't know how, and my youngest, who is my last at home computer genius, is still asleep. :o)

A good source for 1x1' polycarbonate sheets is McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com). They carry various thicknesses and the prices and service are good. If you want specifically LEXAN polycarbonate, a brand name of ?GE?, can't help you there. Most glass shops and home centers also carry polycarbonate sheets for window glazing.

I just bought a rotissirie motor kit, which included the 36" square shaft in two parts, and two pronged meat holders. It's a 1 rpm motor.

I used the meat holders to attach my wheels, bending the prongs over to hold them to the wheel.

It works great, and took about 1 1/2 hrs. to make.

I'd gladly post a photo, but I don't know how, and my youngest, who is my last at home computer genius, is still asleep. :o)

Where did you get it at?

Allen