captjimbob

Questions about dressing treble hooks

While I was waiting for baits to dry I thought I'd try my luck dressing a few treble hooks. My first question is what type of feathers work the best? I attached a pic of my first try, the feathers are white hackle with 6/0 thread. Which leads to my second question, what diameter thread works best?

I had heard somewhere about the feather type but the hackle I'm using seems too wimpy compared to the dressed Owners I have seen in the catalogs.

Thanks in advance!

dressdtrbl.jpg

dressdtrbl.jpg

dressdtrbl.jpg

dressdtrbl.jpg

dressdtrbl.jpg

dressdtrbl.jpg

dressdtrbl.jpg

dressdtrbl.jpg

171_thumb.attach

Capt'n, 6/0 thread is a bit fine for dressing trebles, but if you can work with it without breaking it t will be OK. The hackle you used is from a hen and woul be from the 'saddle' or back of the bird. This is econo (cheaper) than neck hackle would be, and will be softer in the stem, and not so shiney. Rooster cape (neck) hackle is the best, but not needed for deressing trebles.

Your dressing looks OK though. I would make it a bit shorter to avoid short strikes. Be sure to use plenty of head cement, or lacquer on the threads as you tie.

Looks to me like you did a fine job! I prefer to use neck hackle, but I also use saddles, and even marabou on the smaller trebles. I use Danville's Depth Ray Nylon for most of my tying, but 6/0 is fine too especially for the smaller hooks. It doesn't bulk up too much. I epoxy coat the thread, but any head cement or nail polish will also work to make the thread wraps a little more durable. Be careful if you use super glue's, as they have a tendency to "wick" down the materials and glue everything into a solid mass.

I also like to add some flash, and especially pearl Flashabou. I like silver or gold Holographic too! Just depends on what effect I want.

Thanks for compliments. I had ordered Neck Hackle from Jann's. The hackle in red I ordered is a little different and a little stouter. I've had no problems with the 6/0 thread except my poor eyesight.

I have a long drive to anywhere that sells fly tying supplies, where are you getting yours if you're buying online or mail?

I also had a close up look at some dressed trebles at nearby tackle shop. Not as much difference as I first thought. Now I have to dig up the flashabou and other mylar I have buried in my garage so I can add some flash to the feathers.

Thanks again!

Captjimbob