sgtbonecrusher

Lure action or paint job?

Hey Fellas,

Interesting discussion that is ancient but continues to be a thought provoking notion to many in the fishing world.With so many supporting facts for hypothesis,who could surely know.I truly believe that color, conditions,action, and a host of other variables play a part in the answer.Generally speaking I believe that the casting placement and presentation coupled with the lures action,(whether imparted by the user or "straight from the factory"),is what first attracts the fish.After the fish decides to go after the treat it makes its "mind" up while in route to eat the offering.In a split second it eats or turns away,depending on the negative signals it processes.That is when color makes a difference at times.I pick topwater colors more carefully,and I have read studies that show color changing dramatically the deeper the lure goes.So,a lure color looks much different in say two feet of water than fifteen.Hey, but I only have six to eight confidence patterns that get 90 percent of my line time.

I've had similar experiences to Ranger Zs regarding a trap. A buddy and I actually used to nick 'em up when we took them out of the pack and then beat em on the water a lot during the first few casts to knock some of the paint off of them.

I think we all know that some colors work better than others under certain light and water conditions, and custom painters are certainly taking advantage of the prevalent view that fish become conditioned over time to baits and colors.

I also agree with whoever made the statement about size. It's something that a lot of people don't pay enough attention to, and the lure manufacturers are definitely set on producing lures in a few standard sizes. My fishing partner and I took a decent check in series championship last fall fishing lures so small that they'd blow your mind, catching 3lb. bass on them when they wouldn't touch anything else. I've seen 10 lb bass caught on 18" worms as thick as your thumb.

Bottom-line: It's all important.

As for Blades' quiz, if the water was reasonably clear in those lakes, I'd guess that blue-back bait. That craw color is nice, but to be honest and no offense intended, I'd be surprised if it outfished the factory color by such a wide margin. And if it did, I would also be suspicious that there was something in the action of the bait. That blue-back bait, though, is sweet and has some substantial differences from similar factory colors. Of course, I could be completely off base and it's the chartruse bait.

I not only think it's action number one I would say that it's also the material that causes that action number 1A. As an example Balsawood baits will consistently outperform plastic baits even when the action is the same. Example, Rapala Fat Rap vs Rapala Glass Fat Rap. The Balsa Fat Rap will virtually always boat more fish(Bass) than the plastic Glass Fat Rap. They have the same action though. Then colour comes into it . Depending on water clarity and the species being sought after of course. Depth plays a major role as well. There's lots of times when fish won't hit anything over their heads and other days when they won't dive down for anything. They will always hit somthing that runs right by them lol. Bottom line if we are talking about maxing out on our angling opportunity lots of factors figure in including changing up when they catch on to your bait, but for my money a highly visible Rapala Shallow Fat Rap in Orange /Gold or Chartruse/Pearl will catch fish and catch them all day in gin clear or coffee mud coloured water and for sure with that lure it's the action that makes it the best Bass bait ever. Snidley