Clear coat questions

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Lurehead03

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

i personally don't like etex because my lure turner spins to slow etex puddles on the bait for me i like devcon and use it exclusively and as far as which is best who knows and who cares if you like what your using stick with it cause everybody has a opinion about what best and we all know the old saying about opinions

#22 michael merrill

michael merrill

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

I made a poor approach in a previous thread a few months back,one which your original entry here resembled very closely, by dismissing the knowledge base here.I was simply wanting to know why anyone would use protection that was not meant for outdoor furniture, let alone fishing lures.On a whole,this forum has some very experienced fellas.They will share plenty of helpful information if you let them.We all make mistakes from time to time,myself included.

I, also speak from experience, having tried poly in the past.My point was to show how water affects polyurethane.The integrity was also compromised severely once the clear was abused by rocks,laydowns,etc.Poly also has the tendency to tear off in large chunks(foil-sided esp.) as opposed to smaller chips,which I prefer.If you attack me,expect a counterattack.I don't prefer that road though.If you are happy, then all is well, I was simply attempting to stop another from repeating what I felt was an earlier mistake of my own.Peace.

#23 Skeeter

Advanced Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

To be honest with you Cranky, I have been swinging a big bat every time that clearcoats are discussed in this forum. I have been swinging that bat for about 3 or 4 yrs. now. :D I truely enjoy the lively discussions that we have here on the subject. Like Dave said, the "Dark Side" has been after me for a long time. But...... they have never caught me. :wink: If you believe in what you are using then stick to it. I have tried other things for clearcoats. I am not completely closed minded. :wink: But I am still using the same clearcoat that I started with 5 yrs. ago. Nothing has beat it yet.
Skeeter 8)

#24 Cranky Fish

Cranky Fish

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:39 PM

All is well!

Just wanted everyone that has been part of this discussion to understand that I honestly wouldn't try to lead anyone in the wrong direction. Wantsome that posted the original question actually wanted to know about toothy critters. I told him I had no idea how they would hold up as I am strictly a bass fisherman. I thought that the discussion was over after the second post from wantsome. Then the bottom fell out. I respect everyone's opinion here and I only post from my own experiences. I don't have any problems with my finish even after 2 years of abuse. Just trying to help, same as the rest. Let's all just turn our back on this one.

Peace 8)

#25 dtrs5kprs

TU Supporter

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 11:14 PM

The dark side...I like it. Skeet must have seen me wearing my hand pouring respirator!

Ok, from the dark side then, in order of ease of use:
1) Devcon
2) FC
3) Etex

I put Etex below FC only because it seems to be the one product that continually comes up as requiring modification, thinning, adjustment, etc. Devocn and FC are basically both apply and wait for cure, just different time frame and thickness. Devcon is no doubt the easiest place to start, and importantly, it is usually readily accessible in most areas.