SGriff

Copper Wire For Tying Jigs???

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to purchase copper wilre for tying rubber skirts on bass flipping jigs? The type of copper wire I am refering to is like that used by Jewel Bait Company for their hand tied Eakins jig. I have been told that the copper wire like that found in telephone wire would work. However when I tried that I could not twist or pull the wire really tight without it breaking. Is their different sizes, strengths, guages etc.? If so what is the best to use?

most hardware stores will carry small rolls of copper,brass, and annealed steel (bale'n wire) in various guage sizes . I was tying vast amounts of jigs the pevious two years and needed to step up tying speed . I machined out one side of my jig mold to accept a 4" piece of black annealed steel wire that was then molded into the jighead . Having the wire anchored in the head made tying jigs much easier . Hold the rubber strips on with one hand ,make a couple wraps pulling tightly on wire using pliers with the other hand, and snip off tag end of wire . The wire holds firm and even though its steel wire it doesn't rust . I'll never go back to thread again!

I know that the fly fishing section of Gander Mountain has that wire, and probably other major retailers. Also, I have been tying skirts on jigs with kevlar thread. Kevlar is probably a lot stronger, it doesn't have the added weight or that specific look, but it could possibly be better for some applications.

I would think you could find a good supply at Homies or SLowe's. I strip the coating off multi-strand wire. It lasts as long as the rubber I tie does. Rigging wire in saltwater tackle stores works well too but you may have someting around the house now. Just dont use lamp or speaker wire as the strands are too thin to put much pressure on the skirts.

Jerk