cadman

Length of spinnerbait arm.

Hi guys. I'm looking for information on what is the correct length of the spinnerbait arm, that holds the blades, beads and clevises. I use preformed closed loop wire forms in 1/4 oz., 3/8 oz., and 1/2 oz. Is there a formula, or some place you can direct me for the answer to this question. Thanx to all Ted.

Ted,

That is something that is pretty much based on personal preference. I've been making spinnerbait's for years now and have used every length and even made my own. I usually use a 3 in. blade arm and clip a 1/4 in. off the end. The longer the blade arm though, the smaller the blade you can use, or you need to slow down the retrieve speed. Shorten the shaft however, and you can start to burn size 4.5 to 5 blades.

I dont think the arm is critical but Im shure the further back you put it without getting to close to the hook the better it will lift the bait. What I think is more important is to use .035 wire for ther bigger buzzbaits, choosing a better head design(like stanleys) and using a balanced center type blade. On the ones I like the arm to the head is 2.75", the height is just a hair over 1" and the blade arm is 2 5/8 including the rivet bend straightened. And the blade arm is set back aprox 3/16". try to stay away from 1/2 bizzers. 3/8 works wery well and lets tou really slow the bait down.

Depends on the size blade your using, most good spinnerbait fishermen I know want the blade to run on top of the hook. They don't want it to extend too far past the back of the hook.

It also depends on the length of the head arm. Go to the tackle store and look at Hank Parkers Classic bait. It has a short head arm and will have a longer blade arm. IMO, Hanks bait is the best spinnerbait ever built.

If your really into building and fishing spinnerbaits, I'd recommend Hanks new DVD called Spinners. It will be the most unusual fishing video you've ever watched but he will tell you a whole lot about every part of his Classic spinnerbait and why its built like it is. I think Hank still has a web site and you can find his DVD there.