TwoBits

Fiberguard .. FG12 vrs FG30 ?

I'm wanting to make football jigs with the Do-It FBWW-4-AF mold.

It takes an FG12 weedguard, all I have are FG30's and I really don't want to purchase the FG12's.

What are the differences between the FG12 and FG30 ?

I understand the FG12 is a smaller diameter, but would it not be possible to thin out an FG30 to fit the mold ?

I'm not really concerned about a heavy guard on these jigs, I will be fishing clean banks and bottoms. If I get into heavy cover then I'll go to another style of jig with the heavier FG30 guard. I'm just trying to avoid purchasing more fiberguards.

Hello 2 bits.....What I do is take a plastic cable staple and pull the nails out of it.  Then wrap the nail with a alum. tape to the size that will fill the weed guard hole in the mold. Make sure you leave one end tape free to reach into the mold, This where the weed guard will be put. This hole will hold at least 5 weed guard bristle . After the lead is poured you can pull the nail with ease. TWIST AND PULL STRAIT OUT SO NOT TO MAKE THE HOLE BIGGER. You can use the same nail while you powder paint the head . Just pull nail out when paint is still hot our it will chip on you. I use  4 bristle on my NED HEADS to make them weedless using a Poison tail doctored up mold. Works great....Good luck ...STEVE

• Like 1

You can take the FG-30 weed guards and pull the bristles and make your own FG-12 weed guards. Now, the trick is to find a 5/64" diameter pin and if you go to speedy metals you can buy steel rod in that diameter fairly cheap and make your own base hole pins. If you want to cast the jigs with the weed guard in, well good luck making your own,  the reason I say that is because you won't get a perfect fit.  If you use a pin to make the hole then getting a small bundle of fibers to glue in is no problem, but because it won't be a perfect fit in the mold what you'll end up with is lead coming out in and around the fibers or the fibers falling out before you even pour the lead in the mold. So if you have 5/64" pins or drill bits to use as pins then make your own weed guard out of the FG-30s you have, if you are casting the weed guard into the head then do yourself a favor and spend a little extra and buy the FG-12, it will pay off in the end as it will save you a ton of time and aggravation.

I have always in the past, bought regular FG-30 strand weedguard.  When it came time to use the FG-12 weedguard, I just pulled off some strands off of the FG-30 guards. It is a bit time consuming, but it keeps me from buying more weedguards. Also for easier way to put the modified FG-30's into your painted jig, glue in the end of the weedguard with the loose strands not the fused end, because the fused end will have an irregular shape and many time will not fit in easily. I do this all the time and it works really well. One other thing is that you can use a drill bit as well as a base pin for your mold where the weedguard will be later.

• Like 1