kahawai

new lures- pirarucu glider

hi all,

after much trial and error and lots of good advice from the board, here are my latest lures. its my first batch out of foam of a lure i've made before. i call it the "pirarucu glider". i must say i'm prteey plesed with the results, although i haven't strealined the process of weighting them yet. hope you like them!

peter

184-8489_IMG.jpg

184-8474_IMG.jpg

184-8478_IMG.jpg

184-8480_IMG.jpg

husky,

i used foam-it 15 and an RTV Silicone mold.

the foam needs a lot of lead to get it to slow sink. i tried casting the lead into the lures but had trouble getting it to stay centred. after several failures i ended up with the usual method of drilling holes to add the weight and then sealing them. I'm interested to find out how you more experienced foamies add weight to your lures?

i also found that each lure has a slightly different buoyancy, am guessing this is to do with room temperature and my inconsistency of measuring the parts- so i can't simply add the same amount of weight to all the lures - they have to be weighted and balanced individually to get the slow sink.

Peter

husky' date='

i used foam-it 15 and an RTV Silicone mold.

the foam needs a lot of lead to get it to slow sink. i tried casting the lead into the lures but had trouble getting it to stay centred. after several failures i ended up with the usual method of drilling holes to add the weight and then sealing them. I'm interested to find out how you more experienced foamies add weight to your lures?

i also found that each lure has a slightly different buoyancy, am guessing this is to do with room temperature and my inconsistency of measuring the parts- so i can't simply add the same amount of weight to all the lures - they have to be weighted and balanced individually to get the slow sink.

Peter[/quote']

I use slugs I cast for internal ballast. I slide them onto the thru wire. If the wire is centered the slugs will be centered, too. I lock them in place with a little roll caulking. Try positioning the slugs so that if you need additinal ballast the hole will be smaller and less intrusive.

L5.jpg

b0b64284.jpg]

Fantastic work!

If you are using through wire, you should be

able to attach your weight to the wire and keep

it centered.

Or, you could run a straight wire through the

lure and put the weight on it. Its easy to fill

the small holes left by the wire and it pulls

out easy.

Coley

some of the guys here have very sophisticated clamping systems which hold all 4 sides of the mold when curing. my mold making skills aren't all that good yet, so all i do is use packing tape to bind the mold and also use the hardest grade RTV i can find.

the eyes are actually beads, from a shop that sells loose beads for people who make their own costume jewellery. the range is extensive andyou can get them in glass, acrylic, faux pearl, or a variety of semi-precious stones. i was the only male in the shop buying the beads by the way.

Outstanding! Well done Peter. What did you use for the stabilzers? They look glow-in-dark? :D

I tried the mold support from a previous post and they work great.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/files/mold_supports_193.jpg

Tip for newbies.. Use a small rotary tool which can be seen in the pics to mix resin. Doing it with a stick by hand just won't cut it.

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/salonshaper.html

I've yet to find a powder / primer to seal foam pin holes.

Shawn

pz_mold_clamped_333.jpg

silastic_j_seamline_179.jpg

pz_mold_clamped_333.jpg

pz_mold_clamped_333.jpg

pz_mold_clamped_333.jpg

pz_mold_clamped_333.jpg

pz_mold_clamped_333.jpg

pz_mold_clamped_333.jpg

pz_mold_clamped_333.jpg

1765_thumb.attach

1766_thumb.attach

As usual Peter fantastic looking lures, I love the level of detail on these especially around the gill area. How does the action compare to the wooden version? Also roughly how heavy do they end up, I'm not a big fan of chucking the really heavy stuff.

Seems like a good method of reproducing a complicated design rather than having to carve all those details into wood everytime. I'll definitely have to try it out myself sometime.

thanks esoteric! the foam seems to behave well and action is like my wood version. as a bare material the surface feels a little harder than some woods(ie you can't make a mark on it with your fingernail) . i'm still experimenting with the ideal weighting, but its going to be somewhere 3.5 to 4 oz.

Peter

Sounds great Kahawai. I'm inspired and I'm going to give it a go. I've just read through loads of posts on foam lures and they've answered all the questions I have right now, thanks to everyone on TU for that.

I'll most likely show the results here if it turns out well, could be a little while yet though.