kbkindle

two questions on devcon

kbkindle first question ia'm getting some bubbles in devcon top coat.

not thinning it brushing from front to rear

useing 3d eyes on some baits do you go over eyes with devcon or just up to the edge

just looked at package and it is not devcon called versa-chem got it at wall mart but do use devcon two ton for bills

this versa chem says 5 min epoxy system 5 min. set time

is the devcon top coat have a longer set time. kb thanks for help

KB,

One of the things that you might try to keep the bubbles down it to use the stir that comes with Devcon. Wood stirs can cause bubbles due to the pores in the wood getting trapped with air. Use the 5 min. Devcon to glue in your lips. Use the long cure Devcon for clearcoating. You can go over the eyes if you like. Personally the eyes will look sharper if you do not coat over them.

Skeeter

You need a slow cure epoxy like Devcon 2T or Envirotex Lite for clearcoating. Fast cure 5 min. epoxies have different chemistry and will not level properly, will yellow quickly and don't provide the work time needed. Use them for attaching bills and hardware only. I don't try to get fussy with 2T, just brush it over everything on the lure body. You want every part of the surface brushed but don't overbrush it or more bubbles will result. It's not fussy about cure temps but the warmer the room, the better it releases bubbles and the better it levels. Some guys use lure turners in a closed box lined with foil and warmed by a light bulb to speed curing but it's not mandatory. You can breathe on epoxy bubbles; the CO2 and warmth pops them. Envirotex Lite is another good clearcoat epoxy. When mixed, it is a bit thinner than Devcon and it results in a thinner clearcoat. It has a longer cure time and requires longer rotation to avoid sagging. EL also contains some solvent. It will make solvent based colors run but is fine to use on acrylics. I see EL sold at craft stores like Michael's as a table top clearcoat in a 2 X 8oz bottle set.

Bob summed it up pretty well, I just wanted to add a tip that was shared with me. Take a hair dryer on low and go over the lure with it after applying the epoxy. This will help smooth out the level and it will help take out any air bubbles. I would invest on making a lure turner. It reall helps achive a nice even coat.