jasone

Thinning Devcon

Hey guys. Do you thin your Devcon when applying the final sealer coat over the paint? I am just wondering, I don't want to pull all of my paint off with the sealer, I am just tired of smoothing out bumps on the final coat.

Also, can you thin the Devcon on the step when first sealing the wood? If so, can you thin it to dipping consistency?

Thanks

J

Yes to both Jasone, but dipping is very impractical as the cure time is only effected on the working time in 10-15 minutes it's setting up pretty good, I cut it for sealing 60/40 to 50/50, mix the 2 ton first then stir in Denatured Alcohol till it is completely blended, for the finish coat 10-15% Denatured Alcohol just remember that this stuff is very flammable and dangerous to breath, so keep away from flames and do this in a ventilated area, also you will not need to worry about passing a flame over the surface to remove bubbles, just a blow on the bait a few times and they jump right out, and remember to always use a plastic or metal stirring device never wood

John

The reason that you are not suppose to stir expoxy with wood is because wood is porous. It causes air bubbles in the mixture. But I have done it before. It is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I have thinned Devcon. It really doesn't help anything. If you are getting bumps in the Devcon then you aren't applying it or spinning it properly.

Skeeter

On occasion I end up with rough spots, points, or bumps on the final coat of the Devcon sealer. I have been able to fix this by wet sanding down the rough spots with 1000 or 1500 grit sand paper. Then polish it down with Novus Polish or that Marble polish that comes in the pink can. Then, polish with some Maguires Auto wax. This polishes out completely. Anyone else ever tried this?