Monty

alright you musky men......

Well it could be any or all I guess it depends on what you want the bait to do The heavier and more Dense the wood the less weight you'll need like Maple rides low on the water in comparison to Ceder I use white oak for a top water but have to hollow the body's to get the bait to float but it's rock hard for my cranks I use clear ceder so you have to think about what characteristics you want and if you choose to make a top water from a heavy wood you may need to do some additional work to get the bait you want

Good Luck

John

Thanks for the tip. Been trying to reach John Mulliet but I hear he winters in Florida. He offers a 6 inch unpainted Loke for $14 I think. Straight or jointed. Saw one at a friends' house. Soe say he may substitute jelutong in as well. I am going to try a local store forst, but Woodcraft carries the mohogany in a 3x3 x30 or a 2x2x30 for $18 or so.

Hi,I am using foam now!!but I was using poplar wood before!It was OK but the wood was expanding some times!??and cause some damage to the finish!Now no more problems!!!!foam is a awesome thing to work whit!dose not take water!and i can make a lot more lures in the same time!and thru wire also!

Cheers,muskydan666

Been using cedar, but have a bit of basswood sitting around. Found a pattern on this site that looks like a Bagley Big M (?) It may not be a Bagley. Looks like a Big M. I made different size patterns. Maybe a spring bait for the 'skis. Muskydan666- when you say foam, exactly what type are you using?

The only thing I don't like about mahogany is that it's quite grainy. Even after primer it can often be difficult to hide the wood grain.

I tried foam one time and can't really say for sure if I like it because I didn't stay with it long enough. The beauty of foam as I see it is that the lures would have a perfectly consistent shape and weight from one to the next. However, as far as time is concerned, I can cut out a musky lure from mahogany or maple and have it ready to go to the weighting stage in about 10 minutes...that's going to be pretty hard to beat even with foam.

jed v.

jed we did testing years back. african mahogany sank. the densitys were to hi. that was before hardware was eeven added. american mohagany didnt stand up enuff. honduras in pattern grad is the sweetest wood. thats only my opinion, others use many different woods for application actions.