Spinner

Oval or Tapered baits

I have been making flat sided crankbaits and they have performed well for me. I use my dremel with a small over-rounding bit to round the edges.

I would like to try my hand at making baits that are a bit more oval. More of a taper at the top and bottom. Has anyone had success doing this without losing any fingers? I have hand-tapered baits but it is time consuming and difficult to keep balanced.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Spinner

Spinner, the guys around here do it any number of ways. I personally use the router on bigger stuff and a drum sander in a drill press for small stuff. Belt sander is also handy for tapers. You can get very precise if you watch what you are doing. tapering the tails is aomething that I do a lot on med sized cranks. I made a flat plate with formica top that I bored a hole in the size of the drum. Clamp down and adjust your table to where the drum is just below the surface of the formica or other slick surface. Attach a shopvac below the table and you keep most of the dust going down into the vac.

Hope it helps

Bob