ominousone

how can you tell if lead is soft lead????

The local recycling plant that has lead says that I can look through the big drum of lead and pick out what I want. My question is this, what does soft lead look like? What is the most perferable lead to find? Is the most perferable for jigs soft lead? Help please, I am ignorant of alloy compostion, and whathaveyou.

At the local recycling plant look for lead sheets (flashing) or lead tubing ? this is usually plumbers lead and it is soft. You can tell by scratching it ? soft lead scratches easily. Stay away from car batteries ? not worth the hassle and health risks. The best lead is probably the sheets they use for X-ray rooms or lab grade.

All you have to do is take a chunk and hit it on the corner of something hard. Don't hit to hard, but a decent whack and if it leaves a mark it's soft. The soft lead I got are strange looking machine parts that are in fact very shiny. Really nice lead. It's gonna be hard to find stuff in sheets. So take what you can get. The guy at the scrap yard should know also. Hard Lead like wheel weights, once in an ingot, is hard to put a dent in it.