northrivergeek

Catching fish on your own baits rocks

Watching your 12 year old son catch a 3 1/2 lb'er on a spinnerbait that he "helped" you make! His selection of head/blades colors and config. as well as his choice of skirt type and color. I kept thinking... I really don't think that's what I would use...., but decided to let him have at it.

Today we walk over to the pond by our house. He makes maybe 4 casts and WHAM! I'll tell ya folks, there's not a better feeling in the world!

TIGHT LINES!!

Got out this weekend before a front came in that dropped rain and temps. They were still hitting a bit short (it's still early for bass in Iowa) but ended up with 13, all on my own baits. Three I took pictures of and lost the best one of the group.

Smiled all day, and into the next. Worked on these baits all winter and dreamed of how they would work. Nice when the actually do. There is nothing like catching fish with your own hand made creations.

It does rock!

Spinner

Got out this weekend to swim some plugs and try a little Striper fishing. We found some working a shoreline at night and caught and released 8 Friday night. All came on our own plugs. My biggest came on a bait designed for New Rivere Smallies! The first time I threw it out I hooked one and it pulled off on the first run. Sat down in the boat and re-hhoked it (in the dark) and caught a beautiful 21lber that looked like it had a wtermellon in its gut. The next night I had one on my cedar musky crank which was great, because I always figured that stripers would eat it as well. My friend and fellow bait builder APB got several on his topwater swimmers and hooked up on a new design as well. Goota go make more!

Jerk!