pikehunter

? on painting baits

i have been reading and learning allot over the year since i found this sight. now that i have cut out my first bait, i am now having problems with the painting. i put a primer coat of kills down to lay the color over, and then when spraying on the createx, this is wear the problems are starting. the createx does not seam to be adhering to the kills that i put down as a primer, even though it was ruffed up by sandpaper. i sprayed on the first color and while i was letting it dry, i got sidetracked by other responsibility's. when i came back to finish the painting, i went to lightly rough up the paint before adding other colors to the lure, and while doing so, the paint that was already on the lure started pealing off in sheets off the lure. it was just like unwrapping a piece of candy. what i would like to know is if this is how this paint works, or is their something that i am missing. or better yet, is their a better type of paint that i could try using. any help would be appreciated.

Get away from the KILZ and try priming with Krylon white primer.Dont sand between coats,its not necessary.Allow a few minutes between coats or flash them a little if it makes you more comfortable but you dont have to.Before clearing give sufficient time to dry. You should'nt have any problems.If your not happy with the job just re-prime and start over before clearing.If you're worried about sealing read the post below on plastic cote....Good painting

Sound advice above, and like Hoodaddy stated you don?t need to sand Createx between coats. Also try flash drying it with a hair dryer, you will actually see the shiny gloss of the wet paint turn dull when it?s dry. You can then spray your next color.

:idea: Another tip? several light coats of paint is always better than one heavy coat of paint.

The problem you are having is not with the primer. You don't need to sand between coats of paint...I have no idea where this came from. You also don't need to sand between coats of clear...not sure where that started either (etex or devcon). Paint, let dry overnight, then clear. If you are in a hurry, have a hairdryer handy and run it on low between coats. Watch the paint, when it goes from shiny to a dull color it's dry enough for the next coat. Water-based paints can be harder to spray and they dry slower but they are easier to clean up and safer to use.

Jed V.