dtrs5kprs

flex coat finish and durability

Hope I don't open up another round of FC vs Devcon, but just wanted to share some pics of an FC finished bait that went through 4 solid days of cranking chunk rock up the James & Kings Rivers @ Table Rock this spring...much less damage than would be seen on a factory bait, possibly excepting the normans gel coat.

We see a lot of (but not enough, really) pics of baits before they are fished, thought it might be nice to share pics of one that has counted some rocks.

flexcoated.jpg

durability_of_flexcoat_finish.jpg

flexcoated.jpg

flexcoated.jpg

flexcoated.jpg

flexcoated.jpg

flexcoated.jpg

flexcoated.jpg

flexcoated.jpg

179_thumb.attach

180_thumb.attach

Thats good to know the FC holds up well. I have only used devcon so far but I have found that it doesn't have a long shelf life. I ruined a whole batch of crankbaits because I used some devcon that was opened a few months ago and it wouldn't harden. How is FC shelf life. I have used it on a Fly Rod but never on baits. Also isn't FC quite a bit more expensive or is there a place to get it at a really good price? Do you use the regular FC or FC lite?

Thanks

Jason

I use the high build. Lite works, but it obviously takes more coats (read as more precious time), and have found it to be a bit "duller". Both are really better if you let the final coat cure for several days, then buff with a little simple green, or one of the spray on marine/auto wax/cleaner products.

Looks like the stuff holds up well to me. The bait looks to be in real good shape. The blue flat bait in my picture in the gallery had over 50 hrs. of cranking time here on High Rock. There is alot of rock of all kinds in that lake. It was the only "dolphin" colored one that I had when I took the picture. It was coated with Devcon.

Overkill,

I have Devcon that has been open for 2 months and don't have a problem. I have never had Devcon go bad. Tell me, How long was it open and was the only thing that happened was that it just didn't harden? Did it get sticky or didn't work at all?

Skeeter

5 Minute devcon - I use for holding stuff quick , Eyes and stuff like that , an extra pair of hands . Not for water proof things .

Devcon 2 ton - I use for attaching lips and hardware . Still will use if clearcoating a lure or 2 , just doesnt have the working time I need when do alot of lures at once . My favorite for attaching the harware after painting .

Flexcoat - I use this 95% of the time for the final clearcoat . Working time lets me do 15 or so lures with out mixing every couple lures . I let turn on my wheel for 6 or more hours . I let harden for a day and a half before I add hardware .

Envirotex - Working time is VERY long . I dont use very much cause its to runny for me . I have clearcoated 40 lures with the same batch in one sitting . Long cure time .

There is NOT one better than the other , whats works is what works .

I think the longer the cure time the longer the little bubbles have to get worked out . I know you can blow on them but that gets to be time consuming when you have all the other lures looking at you waiting there turn to get a ride on the drying wheel .

Working enviroment make a big difference also , temp , humidity . I have a 500 watt work light I mount to my drying wheel and let the lures set up for an hour or so and turn it on . I think it helps , but the lures like being in the spot light anyway .

I find adding glitter makes it set up a bit faster , I think .

The most important thing !!!! Dont use your wifes good bath towel to wipe the epoxy off your hands if you happen to make a mess . It hardens and puts a hole in it , and when she finds it hiding in the corner It WILL cost you a day with the inlaws !!

:lol: at funnyfarm,

I had a problem once with devcon,

when you dispense it out of the double barrel tube, make effort not to get the 2 parts mixed at the tip.

After getting the the 2 parts mixed at the tip & repeatedly attaching the cap back on, ive lost a couple tubes that way. if you keep it clean it should last awhile.

I'm liking the FC too, Funnyfarm has sent me a few baits coated with it & they look very,very good.

Hi there, I use Envirotex lite and am real happy with the results. I can't say that I have put them through the test some of you may have but I think it is a good hard coating and that the lures look great when done. As far as glueing in the lips I have use 5 minute glue and I also have used super glue but you have to be careful with super glue because it sets up real fast and you better have the lip in place or you will have to cut it back out and do it again. With a little practice though I think it works great. Just my opinion. Ken Schmitz Mylures