Jig Man

Babbit--- I'm dying here

Hi Jigman, The first thing I would do is to check the spout on your melter to see if it is clogged. I don't know what is all in Babbit but I think it is alot harder than just lead. I used to use wheel weights which had alot of crud in it. When I melted it down, I would have to skim alot of garbage off the top so it poured nice. If you have it as high as it goes I think you should have no problem melting it. Does regular lead melt and pour OK?

Sure hope this helps out. Ken Schmitz Mylures

I have poured spoons and jigs with babbit, but I have never been able to do it with my Lee Production pot. It has a lot of tin in it for use in making bearings for lathes and table saws. When I used it, I had a cast iron pot over some wood fire and a ladle. My father the carpenter was none too happy about me using it either. Try a ladle and a pot over a fire to get the heat you need, it will pour. Watch the temp of your molds when working that high a temp, it can warp them a little.

Glad it worked for you, very nice looking pour. From experience, Babbit will oxidize just like any lead if left exposed. I usually don't care because I don't paint my jig heads. My favorite soft plastic color is smoke, and tarnished heads fit with my bait color nicely. Could be I'm lazy too.LOL Pour em, use em, usually lose em is my routine.

You can clear coat fresh pours with a clear laquer(sp?) or clear powder coat. I like the powder coat cause you can take the lure straight from the mold and it is hot enough to dip right then and there. Then put them in the oven for 2-3 hours at 250 deg and it bakes to a hard clear finish. Not sure what the name of what I use is but I can get to you with it tommorow. They sell it at Netcraft.com. Cool Stuff.