RamMan751

homemade lathe

12 posts in this topic

Greetings,

I am new to here and am wanting to know if anyone had built their own lathe. If so I was wondering of anyone could let me know an inexpensive way of doing so. I have just started (attempting) to make my own lures. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi ram man

I have made 4 lathes so far. All with various degrees of complexity and cost. I guess the question is "whatcha gunna do with it?" There is a fella by the name of Guy Luatard(sp), he puts out a series of books called "the Machinists bedside reader" and in one of them he gives detailed drawings and instructions on how to build a lathe. They are pretty heady so be forwarned. I dont know what level of accessability or ability you have but I would be more than happy to help you in any way I can.

Lee

I ran across one the other day for about 50 bucks where you add your own drill you could also spin the head around for rod building forgot where i seen it but i am sure someone here will chime in if you ask about it? I think it could have been on one of the micro tool sights

Several years ago I saw a lathe attachment for a drill press. It was basically nothing more that a heavy piece of steel that attached to the drill press table and was used as a rest. The turnings are all done vertical instead of horizontal. There was also a bearing that mounted to the table which acted as the live center.

Gene

I pondered building one too, but I watched the sales at Harbor Freight Tools and picked up a full size lathe. It has an all steel frame, a good sized motor and will handle stock to 40".

For around $80 shipped I figured I'd have nearly that much in a homemade lathe by the time I got a comparable motor and the other parts needed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38515

Edited by WannabeeFishing

It could be done but i would never expect it to work satisfactory and youll probably be sick of futzing with it before its really done. If you keep your eyes peeled you can find a used lathe for 300-400 and use your time more wisely.

I made a rod lathe that has worked well for me for years:

http://kensfishingrods.com/workshop/articles/rodlathe.htm

I also made a lath to turn wodden popper bodies. It's basically the same thing except I use two sewing machine motors and two three-inch pulleys. For the axel, I used a 5/8" standard thread, 6" bolt. A 3/8" to 1/2" galvanised coupler fits the bolt snug and, you can screw in a 3/4" wooden dowel into the 1/2" galv threads. (This holds the dowel for turning). For the live center I used a 3/4" berring mounted on an aluminun rail so I can slide it to and from the head. I can turn a dowel on the end (to make the concave mouth of the lure) then just keep feading it through to complete the body.

Harder explain than to build. I may have a bout $40 invested, made hundreds of lures.