JayInGrapevine

Snake Mold

Hey there, I'm new to the site but I'm a big proponent of making yourown tackle. Few feelings are as gratifying as catching a bass on a bait you made. That said, I'm looking to make a mold for a 10-12in floating snake. For one, I'm not sure what type of mold would be best suited for this, and secondly, what kind of plastic or resin would I used to make a floating worm?

Thanks for any help!

For cost effectiveness when prototyping a bait, you should make a master from modeling clay (sculpey?) and make a test mold out of RTV or plaster of paris and make a few test pours before you move on to a more permanent, CNC milled aluminum mold. You could also make one out of fiberglass resin and get decent finish results.

As far as the plastic goes, if you want it to truly float, you will need to add glass microspheres or (be afraid) aerate your plastic while it is at pouring temp. A good tip for floationg baits is to pour 2 colors, the top color with floatant added and the bottom clor with salt added to create bias in the buoyancy of the bait. Good Luck...

Thanks for the info guys. Rick from Persuader lures called me last night and we talked about the best way to do it. I'm going to start with a plaster of paris mold of a grass snake (our cats leave them at the door step like a trophy every morning), coat that mold with 10-min epoxy and melt some used plastics for my test pours. Once I get it just right, then I'll use one of those as a master, make one from fiberglass resin and some new plastic.

Good idea on the two typs of plastic though. That makes senses to keep it setting on the surface correctly and keep it from rolling. I want it to stretch just slightly when twitched or slowly retrieved, then go back to coiled when at rested to look as natural as possible.