VMAXX

drilling hole's

Being new to this you never want to sink alot of money into making crankbaits until you actually make something that works,yesterday I went to Sears and they had a bench top (9") drill press on sale so....I thought what the heck I can always use it for something else......Man I can't beleive I went this long without it the difference is amazing I use to say well if I drill 10 bait's and ruin 5 by going off center that's not that bad...yes it was,just thought I would share that :)

Dave I'm using the vise like coley said just putting scrap on the outsides to keep from marring the bait, the drill bit problem I can't ansewer,the only bait that I'm thru wiring im doing in 2 pcs.,as far as centering it's pretty easy with the vise press combination also using a machinist 6" square to mark my center's running the drill bit around 2300 rpms

A drill press is very handy for making lures, no doubt about it. I've made some jigs to mount on my drill press' table. These jigs are made from scraps of 2 x 6 lumber. One has a 45 degree vee cut in it. Another has various sizes of coneshaped holes. Just lay the lure in the vee to drill belly hook holes. Stand the lure in the cone holes to drill the nose and tail.

Search around for "electrician's drill bits". These bits come in just about about any size you might want. The small diameter bits are at least 6 inches long. They get longer as the diameter increases. Here's the rub: the small diameter ones are very flexible. They's follow the wood's grain and you'll be luck to have them come out where you want them to. I went back to drilling from each end and trying to meet up somewhere inside the lure. I only make one through-wire lure because of the amount of scrap I seem to make.

ll_revolver_yellow.jpg