Snook

2 Things I do not get, Women and Airbrushes?

Hey guys,

I have racked my brain, tried what I knew to try, and have read most every post in the hard bait forum, well at least to page, 37 thus far :D . I thank you for all the post and wisdom shared. Now I could use some advice.

After searching every newbie airbrush question, and lecture this is my best guess. I am posting this to see if I am on the right track. If not please someone speak up and let me know.

I am using a Crescendo 175, with a Craftsman 3 gal. Air Compressor, 1 hp, Horizontal Tank, I have both ready to use Badger Opaque airbrush paint and hobby acrylics.

My problem is this, first time I used the brush it seemed to work fine, a little splattering when I would adjust the consistency of paint, or play with the pressure. After practicing, I cleaned it and put it away.

Now today, I get back out; mix some paint and the brush won?t spray consistent. It pulses, I thought it was clogged, so apart it came, cleaned it, and still would pulse, so I figure the paint is to thick, thin it with water, and it pulsed thinned some more, still pulsing. Okay, I jack the pressure up, and run straight water through it, it blows, but not in a steady stream? It even pulses with just water running through :twisted: . So back to the forum and re-reading prior post I go.

The best I figure, is that I am missing something when I clean it, and maybe using too much pressure to paint? I started out using 20psi and went as high as 80 trying to get it to shoot steady.

I am guessing I was going the wrong direction with the pressure. With just water, I should try and turn down the pressure to 10 or 15psi? Also Kellure suggested in a post to buy an ultrasonic cleaner? I will try again tomorrow hopefully with better results. Any suggestions or insight will be much appreciated.

I don?t expect to be freaking Picasso like the resident TU icons here in this forum! :-D It just is frustrating when $2 rattle cans spray better than my current set up. :(

I am ready for the newbie and novice jokes at my expense, please; a good laugh would help my mood.

Thanks,

James

here is my stab at your problems.

1) the root of the worlds problems is ESTROGEN.

2) this ones a little tougher for me. I'm guessing it may be with your air supply.

A) Is the compressor running when you get pulsing?

B) or is the tank completly filled.

C) Is there water in your tanks or airline?

D) Is your regulator working properly?

E) Is the needle in you brush bent or damaged?

F) does plain air pulse going thru your gun?

G) Is the airsupply going thru your brush restricted in any fashion? A piece of teflon tape or pipe sealant could be blocking the line or valving.

Hope you find your problem.

Cheesehead,

Thanks so much, I feel like such an idiot. In my frustration I was running the airbrush constantly trying to adjust everything to stop the pulse. In retrospect, I bet you are a hundred percent right, the compressor is running thus causing my pulse. With the tank full, I should watch to see if the brush will still pulse.

I am betting it wont. But I can?t try until tomorrow, I work second shift at the hospital.

I am sure the needle is not bent, and I able to properly dial in any pressure to 125psi through the regulator so I would think the regulator is okay.

I however, do not have an inline pneumatic filtration system for water or oil which can build inside the tank. I after most every use open the drain plug and just empty the tank. I just started using the compressor for the airbrush; it has only been attached the two times. I got this compressor new at Christmas in 05 and have only used for a couple of odd jobs around the house.

Would you recommend a filtration system for the little hobbyist at home doing a few plugs here and there? If so, who would you recommend? Can I get away with using a compressor like the craftsman? It was my understanding the airbrush compressors were only different in that they were more portable and quieter when running. Am I mistaken?

Freak?n Estrogen, causing world problems. :lol:

Bottom line is I should probably spend less time talking to attractive women, and more time reading how to use your airbrush! Freak?n Estrogen strikes again! :grin:

Thanks,

James

I just new Cheesehead was correct and the compressor was running causing the pulsing. :D

It just sounded right to me.

Mixed some paint, loaded up the Airbrush this morning and practiced a little, worked great, paint ran low, switched colors, and BAM!!! Started pulsing? :(

Took the Brush apart cleaned it, ran water, then thinner, and then more water through it, still pulsing, sometimes it even would stop spraying media (paint, water, thinner, windex, etc.) all together. I always had air pressure, and I paid close attention to make sure the air ran through the gun steady and consistent.

This is my theory, I am looking for some feedback please.

I sat down and played with the airbrush for an hour or so and I think I stumbled across the problem. As I stated, I have the dual action Crescendo 175 airbrush, the paint connects to the bottom side of the airbrush and is siphoned up and through the plastic paint bottle container.

This bottle assembly is completely plastic and I am guessing about 4oz in size (approx 4? tall). I noticed that on this bottle assembly that the cap fits nice and snug into the airbrush no problems, however, after removing the plastic straw from the underside of the cap which the paint travels through, the straw no longer fit snug, and would work loose requiring to be reattached. I turned the straw over and shoved the opposite end onto the cap and proceeded to shoot water. It appeared to remedy the pulsing for the moment, but I had no time to continue to tinker with it, I had to get ready for work. :censored:

I wondering if any of you professionals, experts, :-D feel this could be the root of my problems? Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? I am planning a trip to the local hobby shop to see if I can get a better built set of bottles (smaller too). I looked on line and saw plastic, metal, and glass bottles available. Any recommendations as too what I should look for and get? Hope this is the monster causing my problems.

Any thoughts or comments that may help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone for being patient and putting up with my learning curve. Extra thanks to those who replied already. :wink:

Tight lines everyone,

Thanks,

James

Thanks Everyone,

Your help was greatly appreciated. I found that the cheap plastic fast blast bottles I am using aren?t worth a darn and are causing my problems. The siphon tube in the bottle is splitting around the neck allowing the airbrush to suck air and pulse. When the siphon tube is fitted tight, the gun works perfect. I am just going to have to get some decent bottles and caps.

Finally got to lay down some pearl white over my base coat on a couple of baits today, and actually have them turn out as I wanted. Still trying to decide on my color for the backs. Can?t wait for this weekend, very excited to see what?s to come with my new hobby.

Thanks again,

James

Hi.I also add that problem whit a badger model 100!and I am pretty sure that I know the solution!!there some air leaking from the head of the gun!it as to be tighten correctly but some times it is the little white washer in the head that is getting to old so even when tighten at maximum there is still some air leaking from the head.go get a new washer and I am pretty sure that your problem will be solve!!

Cheers,muskydan666